14

The first thing one of the goats did when Kennith entered their pen was ram him in the shin. It immediately had him on a bad start with the goats. Another one bit his sweater and refused to let go until Kennith stood from his crouch, taking the animal with him. It fell with a soft bleat and wandered away. Jesse laughed and playfully scratched at the animals' heads. Most of them were only babies; Kennith could feel the beginnings of tiny horns poking up from their heads.

  Kennith didn't like the goats. There were too many of them and they bit anything that came close to their mouths. His hands began to shake. "Wanna go somewhere else. I don't like them," he frowned, leaning back away from another one. "Okay. Let's go," Jesse replied cheerfully, sensing the boy's panic. Kennith was glad to get away from the larger groups and animals. Obviously, he couldn't see them, but he could hear the birds as Jesse led them on a little stroll past large cages of finches and colorful birds, leaving the goats behind them. The area was shaded by large oak trees; Kennith loved it. The noise and cool, fresh air made him smile. He could hear snippets of conversation as couples and friends reclined on the field with blankets and picnics. The boy wished he could see the field and the trees. His inability to see colors was worse with his sunglasses, too. The only comfort he could find was the gentle tapping of his cane and a dog that eagerly sniffed his leg as it passed.

  "You want ice cream again?"

  "No, thanks," Kennith replied.

  "Lunch, then?"

  "Where?"

  "I don't know. I'm not really that familiar with the area. I'm sure we can find a burger joint or somethin', though."

  "I'm not that hungry." Kennith was getting bored. He didn't enjoy the park when he couldn't see it. He constantly felt like he was missing out on something crucial when Jesse got so excited over something he couldn't ever experience.

  "Do you want to sit down somewhere?" Jesse tried.

  "I wanna go home."

  Suddenly, Jesse was having flashbacks to when Kennith snapped and hit him. His spirits fell slightly; he couldn't let Kennith be in a mood for much longer or else he would never get the boy back from it. "How about we go see the bigger horses?" he asked. Kennith shrugged, but with a little urging, Jesse had him on his feet and led him across the park. Kennith could hear their hooves and whinnies.

  Inside their enclosure, the boy hung close to Jesse. He was so comfortable around horses, but the size of the big blobs around Kennith intimidated him. He was scared that one would bite him; he knew how easy it was for them to snap a finger.

  "Hey, bud," Jesse greeted a horse that wandered up to them happily. His hand found his mane and scratched it lovingly. The man took Kennith's hand for the second time and put it on the horse's neck. The height of it made Kennith gasp. When it moved its head towards the boy, he snatched his hand away. Tears gathered in his eyes but never spilled over. He didn't like this big animal.

  "It's okay," Jesse insisted, "He's not gonna do anything. He likes you."

  The animal snorted. This time, Jesse guided his hand to the animal's nose. In all honesty, it was one of softest, warmest things Kennith had ever felt. He wanted to hug it.

  "See? He's nice."

  Kennith could only smile blindly at the animal. The warmth in the touch against his nose made little butterflies rage in his belly. Without prompt, he put his other hand on the horse's cheek and rubbed at the rough hair there. "I want a horse now," he decided.

  "They're a lot of work. Not all hugs and kisses."

  He didn't reply. The boy was too infatuated by the way the animal's jaw worked and its lips curled up against his hand.