29

I drew a lil ctenophore

Kennith was more excited about Jesse being home later that afternoon than he was about the bag of books and treats he came back with. Jesse was quiet and didn't have a lot of energy, but Lucia made up for it. She stayed for a late lunch of Jesse's cornbread and salad. When she left, Kennith sat in the kitchen while Michael did the dishes. Aja would be home any minute; he could feel his father's excitement. Jesse had already retreated to his bedroom in the basement.

  "I'm happy he's back," Kennith admitted quietly. Michael hummed, setting a clean plate on the island. "Me too."

  "Do you still think that throwing a dinner would be a good idea?"

  Michael turned around and leaned against the counter, shrugging. "I asked him today, actually."

  "What did you tell him?"

  "Just asked if he would be up to having a family dinner with your brothers and sisters. He seemed fine with it. Said that he'd be cool with any family but his biological one. I think he's kinda looking forward to it now."

  "Well, so am I. Biological family sucks." Kennith rolled his eyes. Michael was happy to see the old Kennith showing through. "Well, I think he'll fit in with them. He reminds me a lot of Zacharia," his father hummed.

  "Yeah," the boy scoffed, "Of course he reminds you of a pompous, vain man-child."

  Michael only laughed. Aja walked through the front door a moment later, yelling a greeting. "Hello!" Michael chimed back, leaning so he could see through the kitchen doorway as she entered. She dropped groceries on the island, leaning down to peck Kennith on the forehead and give Michael a short, loving kiss. Kennith flinched away from the touch. Michael grinned. She was in a better mood than usual after a long shift at the hospital.

  "How was your day?" he asked. Kennith leaned his head on his fist while his parents played out their nightly routine. "Wonderful. I had a patient who I thought would never even learn how to eat again walk out of the hospital like it was nothing. It made my day."

  "Of course. And it was all thanks to the gorgeous, talented, genius surgeon, Doctor Aja Arche," Michael told his wife, pulling her close by her waist and kissing her again. Kennith wanted to gag. That was when Jesse finally climbed the stairs from the basement and met his family in the kitchen. Aja silently hugged him before kissing his temple as a welcome-home gesture. She then took the man's face between her palms and said, "We're so happy you're finally back."

  Kennith could hear Jesse's smile in his response, "Me too."

  "I don't feel like cooking tonight. Anyone want to order in? Chinese?" Michael asked. Jesse wouldn't want to cook dinner after the day he had.

  "I want prawns," Kennith said before anyone could reply. Aja hummed, already picking up the phone. "Please," Jesse agreed.

  ——

  Two days after Jesse's homecoming, Kennith went back to school. He did as much overdue work as he could possibly manage, with extra help from Lucia, of course. She had become a part of his life that he didn't know how to live without. While Kennith worked away, Michael sat at home with a cup of coffee by his side and his phone in his hand. He had been spending the morning calling his children and explaining that he planned to hold a dinner at their house, if everyone's schedules permitted. The response was overwhelmingly positive, even if Zacharia and Lily wouldn't be able to attend. Lily was at home with two sick children and Zach was preparing for a large fashion show in Egypt. Everyone else, Janet, Saskia, Kaia, Alex, Luka, Mason, and Laurent, would be attending. Normally, they hosted family gatherings at their vacation house at Mount Baker, but it was too short notice to organize a personal chef or extra housekeeper for a week away at the mansion.

  Lucia was invited, along with her mother. Apparently, they were both excited to see the full Arche family. Jesse was nervous, but when Michael had doubts about holding the dinner so soon after Jesse's release from the hospital, Jesse insisted that it happen. Saskia would be late, she informed them a day after Michael sent out the invites. Since their house was rather small and didn't have room to put up so many people overnight (unless they wanted to sleep on the floor), most of the siblings would have to get hotels. Therefore, Saskia would have extra time.