Chapter 28

First came the screams and then shooting followed by the groaning of the dead.

After the first shots, Cristine instinctively reached for her gun. Quick to respond, she burst off in the direction of the chaos and yelled at the people without weapons to go to their RV's. Her father and Jake were hot on her heels. The panicked howls and crying from women and children echoed across the rocky gorge.

"Blake- Blake what the hell happened?!" Arriving at the scene, Cristine saw Blake and a few militia members either hack or shoot at the incoming dead. Confused, Cristine looked upwards at their militia's post and saw that it was less occupied than usual. She didn't have time to wonder why that was because a high-pitched scream split her thoughts. A lanky dead was clawing and humping at the poor woman who did her best to push the heavy body from on top off her. Jolting into action, Cristine slipped her blade from her hip and slipped it between the soft underside of the skull. The body stiffened before slumping down and she threw it from the shell shocked woman.

Checking her for any bites or scratches, Cristine then lightly tapped the frozen woman in the cheeks and made sure she garnered her attention. "Sam I need you to go to the RV's like we discussed for situations like this. You stay there until we say it's safe alright? If you heard me, I need you to say alright and repeat what I said."

"A-Alright. I-I'll go back to the RV's until you say we're safe." Sam choked on her tears, body shaking. Cristine helped the redhead up her feet and pointed in the far back between the tents where she needed to go. When she was sure Sam was heading in the right direction, Cristine then whipped her head in the direction of the militia, Jake, her father and few others keeping the dead back with their guns.

Where the hell did these dead come from and why hadn't their militia spotted it earlier?!

"Son of a bitch. There's more of 'em!" Blake yells from where he stood with his rifle pointed at the stampeding dead. He and a handful tacitly formed a curved line between the camp and the dead.

"How many?!" James asked, after discharging a bullet in the center of one's head.

"Can't tell!" Blake reloaded the magazine with a new one and stated, "but from the way they keep coming we're outnumbered."

"We'll run out of ammo and stamina before we take them all. We need to cut them off and redirect what we can." Cristine glowered when the one she shot went down like a ragdoll in faded and dusty clothes, milky eyes rolled in the back of it's skull. She stepped back, breaths coming out in pants from the adrenaline and exertion, body wet with perspiration. The first numbers were easier to manage, but even with their weapons it wouldn't last that long.