Chapter 38

Cristine carefully cradled the little Christine in her arms after scooping her out of the scale after examining her weight. The one day old newborn was their community's youngest member. With Jack's death, everyone supported the single mother and her baby as best as they could. Both mentally and physically. Kathy was still adapting to the loss of her husband, but her daughter kept her going and Cristine was impressed with the weary woman. "She's 7 pounds." Alicia said and scribbled down the details of the child's measurements. Cristine nodded and breathed gently when she felt the tiny human being stir within her hands. She softly cooed under her breath and a natural smile flourished on her face, softening her features as she turned to face Kathy. Despite the tiredness settling in her features, her eyes always seemed to spark back to life when she had her daughter. 

"She's 20 inches tall and her head circumferences is about 14 inches." After listening to Alicia reciting all the stats, Cristine pulled one of the stools and set it opposite of Kathy and began to examine the baby's skin color. There was nothing out of order. The healthy reddish and pink hue displayed a healthy blood circulation. The blueish tinge near the tiny fingers and toes finally dissolved and aside from the dryness and peeling near the wrists and ankles, which was normal at this stage, everything else was normal and more importantly healthy. Cristine then moved to do perform a thorough examination on child's head, neck, heart and lungs, abdomen and genitals. Alicia was watching Cristine attentively, taking notes and remembering everything she could. She found her place in the infirmary and finally felt like she pulled her weight by doing something meaningful. It helped that everything was hands on and she could immediately support wherever she could. Cristine still did the complicated and risky procedures, but Alicia was a quick learner and the older medic trusted her enough to put her in charge of the infirmary or perform the routine checkups. It gave Alicia a chance to get to know everyone better and settle in like one of them. Nick was settled in the militia and her mother moved around like a chameleon. 

"How have her rooting and sucking reflexes been?" Cristine lowered the stethoscope from her ears, the question aimed at Kathy. The mother lowered her chin and rocked her slightly fussing daughter back and forth. 

"Sometimes, I need to stop her from eating too much… she has that appetite from her daddy, don't you, you little firecracker?" Kathy stretched her pinky finger and when the digit touched the sleeping infant's lips, the baby began to suckle it automatically. The newborn made some small kicking motions in the air. Tilting her head to the side, Cristine didn't know that this tiny and fragile human, that smiled in her sleep, could fill her so many emotions it threatened to make her heart burst. It helped to push down the eternal guilt she'd feel knowing it was because of her father that mother and daughter were without their support. 

"That's good." Cristine wanted to remember this tender moment, but she needed to do something important. She hadn't seen Troy at all and best excuse she could use was switching shifts with Alicia. Sitting up straight in her seat, she looked over her shoulder at the younger teen. "Kathy, I have to finish my door-to-door checkups before we leave. Alicia will take over for me. You're in good hands, alright?" Kathy looked between Alicia and Cristine, it seemed she wanted to say something, but held back her words and nodded. "You drive back home with me and my family. I'll drop by your RV to grab some of you and my twin's stuff." 

Kathy's "Thank you Cristine. You don't know how much that means to me."

-

"Care to check on me too doctor?" Just as Cristine finished her last patient, her father startled her. He was dressed in a camo pants, freshly cut beard and filled with the same vigor as a new recruit. Cristine looked him up and down and, surveying him for any visible injury. She didn't find any until he waved his wrapped hand in front of her. Cristine furrowed her brow together and gestured at her father to offer his hand, which James did. It looked fresh from the color of the blood around the handkerchief. Cristine ignored the way her father grunted under his throat as she unwrapped the covering and revealed a deep cut, probably from a knife.