Chapter 57

That same day, all able-bodied Survivalists worked on barricades and strengthening the fences. The work went surprisingly efficient and most were in their element fixing what could still be fixed and salvaged. Cristine put Alicia in charge of the infirmary with Hailey at her side her while she decided to help with the mending of the fences at the front. She needed to breathe and organize her thoughts with other work and helping with the barrier of the enclosed piece of acreages was perfect. Though Cristine had learned of the Ranch life in the Apocalypse it was one of the best places to be right now. Dressed in her fresh laundered outdoor garb and baseball cap, she strode to the next area to fix. She and a few were in charge of the fences. They had lumber to strengthen the weak spots. At the sound of a heavy vehicle drawing close she looked up with a deep frown from concentrating on her work. One of the trucks delivered more wood for the barbed fences and Cristine got up to help unload the planks. As the day progressed, the weather remained the same. Cristine worked until her skin took on a glossy shine on her complexion that bronzed over time under the sun. As she kept fastening the barbed wires together, her mind had considerably cleared.

"I see you're making progress." Cristine tensed in spite of herself, but she turned and with his hands on his hips saw her father. She had the feeling that she hadn't seen him in ages, but the pulling sensation on her face was a stark reminder that he was always close. Keeping herself occupied was the best remedy to not think about him as much.

"We're managing. There's still a lot of work and we have little time," Cristine said and grabbed some lumber and used it as an extra support beam for a frail looking wood stuck in the ground with barbed wire around it. When she dragged the heavy wood with her, her father probably saw it as a chance to help. Cristine didn't protest or acknowledge his aid, she just let him do whatever he thought would make him feel better. She smelled the liquor on his clothing, frowned deeply and ground her teeth together. Another reason why she didn't want to be around her father as much; he'd always be a drunk. He'd say his empty words and this time she wouldn't cling to his excuses to do better and have that stupid hope.

"I thought your plan through and it's solid. Smart. When Walker understands what's happening, he'll surrender." James held the wood with both hands while Cristine began the process of fastening the wood as one with some nails. He avoided looking at Cristine, ashamed of witnessing his outburst in the flesh. At least Cristine didn't fully reject him or shied away from his presence, as tense as she appeared in his vicinity. "I thought, uh… you and I should talk after last time."

"…"

James saw his daughter's silence as a sign to continue and he scratched his throat and talked, voice soft and on the edge of wavering, "lately, I've been having strange thoughts. Of ghosts and sins that wander in limbo and how they're much worse than the dead and it catches up on you. Like walking in a circle and you think you've dealt with them."

Cristine didn't once glance at her father and twisted a fresh roll of barbed wire around the wood. Her father didn't make any sense and she blamed his babbling on the alcohol. Her lips twisted together and the shooting sensation of her face made the corner of her eye tear up. "I'll always love you daddy, but like you said, you won't change; sober or drunk. It's who you are… who you've always been." Cristine her tune was cold and without looking at her father shared her piece. Hard lines etched into her forehead and she really had to bite her tongue to keep the stinging words to a minimum and say anything hurtful back. "So if you won't change that means I'll have to. For me. I meant what I said that night and you can be angry at me for it… but don't ever put your hands on me like that again."

-

It was a few hours in and the fences were considerably strengthened. The vulnerable and important spots fixed first. They couldn't finish everything, but it would have to do. Cristine felt her strained back snap, crackle and pop when she rose to her feet and stretched the muscles. "Good job everyone." Cristine tugged at the double wired barbs with his gloved hand and the extra wood that kept the fence posts up. "We head back to the shooting range to help the others prep before they go out tonight." With the setting sun came a sky of an orangey fire. It was the budding scene for the clear night with stars.