Chapter 56

Cristine's swallowed, her throat dry and scratched from the dry afternoon air. She leaned against the window frame, arms crossed and occasionally flicked her eyes in Madison's direction and waited for her pacing father to end his silent tirade. She explained the details of her plan and her listened to it from start to finish. Afterwards, he got quiet and Cristine couldn't decipher an inkling of his thought process. Then, he began to pace for a whole fifteen minutes. It was nerve wracking and tense, but the two women left him to it. Finally, Madison strong voice recoiled through the cabin room, "it's a solid plan James. We hit them back and weaken them to like us. It's our only choice with our fighters so thin and it'll put us at a stalemate again."

Cristine darted her gaze from Madison to her father again. "I get that and I wholeheartedly agree, but Cristine-" Her father's stern voice and complicated expression unnerved her greatly. "-can you live with what happens next?" His stare darkened, almost smothering Cristine's response. What did he want her to say? No. No, daddy I can't? That would be a lie. She could. She'd sleep like a baby if they went through with this and it was successful. Perhaps that was the reason her father asked her this question.

"We're at a disadvantage and this is the best-"

"Answer the question Cristine." Her father demanded, surprising her with his tune. Even Madison peered at her, analyzed her with silent contemplation. In spite of herself, Cristine recalled Troy's promise and how normal he made it sound to throw away her morals like a crumbled piece of paper. Troy has my back.

"I care about those people as much as you did when you made the decision to lie about the Trimbols. Like you said daddy, this is how we live now. There is no room for regrets."

James was silent for a while, his expression hard to decipher. Not even Cristine could figure out if he was disappointed, angry or displeased. Her father simply nodded before looking at Madison. Brief surprise was plastered on the mother's face when Cristine had mentioned their lie so casually. "I'll inform Jeremiah."

"Will he agree?" Madison asked.

"I don't care. I just want to let him know as it's still his land." James glanced at Cristine and said, "go on. We don't know when the Nation will attack and time is of the essence."

Cristine could only nod and left her father's cabin with mixed feelings. She barely had any time to come to herself when Troy walked in her direction from the distance. Her mindset twisted back to full focus when she nodded in response to his silent inquiry. "My father backs it. He'll let yours know. Jake?"

Troy nodded and tipped his head to the side, "he doesn't fully agree, but he understands that talk is cheap with our disadvantage. We're rounding up the dead from the forcefield and plan on attacking tonight. The Nation is counting on us recovering and will attack while we do. We'll have the best chance poisoning their fighters through the infected and send the dead loose on their camp."

"Sounds like a plan," Cristine agreed.

"You stay." A pair of overbearing eyes darted Troy's way and Cristine opened her mouth to protest that she wouldn't, but Troy silenced her, "I need you on the Ranch in case shit does hit the fan."

"What about letting Jake and my dad handle things here?" Cristine asked, not breaking eye contact and scowled at his hypocrisy. Just because he backed her up on this and we're on speaking terms didn't mean that she'd just sit back because he told her to. It was insulting.

Troy raised his hands and shook his head before clarifying, "I know, but I'd feel less worried about the place if you stayed here and lead the ones left. We both know most people here are experts when it comes to self-sustainment, not clearing dead or fighting off enemies. We coddled them and they wouldn't know what to do. Not really. They aren't ready yet and need someone that can help them with those things. My father's not really an option right now and Jake looks like shit treating the people. He doesn't look good. Also, no full offense to your dad, but he's not as reliable anymore."