Chapter Sixteen

To say that the last few weeks had been difficult would've been an understatement. 

Since what had happened to the burrow, everyone had been slightly more quiet than usual, and Alice had essentially become a counsellor to her friends. Luckily, things were slowly getting back to normal. Harry had been starting to smile a bit more often, occasionally cracking jokes again, much to Alice's relief. He was still convinced that the attack on the burrow was somehow his fault, despite how many times Alice told him that he was wrong.

"I don't want to brew more stupid potions," Alice whined as her and Harry made their way down in to the dungeon, Slughorn's extra potions classes started again today, much to Alice's dismay. She had been slacking on her studying for potions recently, other classes and a certain Slytherin taking up too much of her time.

"Yeah, me neither. I sort of regret signing up for it." Harry admitted as they made their way down the hallway. Alice couldn't help but think about how un-homely the dungeons were whenever she was down there, every wall made of grey stone and little to no decoration. It sort of reminded her of a prison.

"Says you! You have the magic book of cheats!" She exclaimed, gesturing to the book that once belonged to the Half-Blood prince which Harry carried under his arm. He rolled his eyes, holding the book to his chest.

"You're beginning to sound like Hermione," He pointed out, Alice shoving him on the arm. Of course she loved Hermione like a sister, but Alice was much more of a rule-breaker than her room mate. They entered the potions classroom, most of the students already in their seats. "See you after class," Harry said as he headed to his desk, Alice heading to hers at the back of the class on the opposite end of the room to Harry.

Draco wasn't there yet, but Alice just figured that he was late, or that he forgot that the classes restarted today. Although she had reminded him, it wouldn't have surprised her if he had completely forgotten. She opened her book to the correct page as Slughorn started talking about the potion they were brewing that day, jotting some of the more important information down. 

About halfway through Slughorn's speech Draco quietly slipped in to the room, walking quickly over to his and Alice's desk. He knew that he had to be subtle, so instead of the kiss which he wanted to give her he settled on gently brushing his hand across her back. If anyone had noticed it would've looked like an accident, but they both know that it wasn't.

Slughorn's explanation of the potion seemed to last forever, at some point Draco had turned in his chair slightly so that their legs were touching beneath the table. Alice looked at him as subtly as she could, just peeking out of the corner of her eye, to see him doing the exact same thing back. This made her giggle slightly, making the Hufflepuff girl on the table in front turn around and look at them questioningly. Draco glared at her, and she turned back around instantly, as if she hadn't even looked in the first place.

Alice sometimes forgot that other students were scared of Draco, probably because she knew that there was nothing to be intimidated by. Who they saw as a cold, mean person who cared about no one but himself, she knew to be warm, kind and selfless. She felt the back of his hand brush gently against the side of her thigh as the class went on.

"Okay all, start brewing!" Slughorn announced after what felt like a lifetime of him talking. Alice fetched the ingredients while Draco got the cauldron, both of them placing what they brought back on the table, next to Alice's book which was already open on the instructions page.

"Listen, I know this is a crazy concept to you, but we're going to actually follow the instructions this time." Alice demanded, Draco rolled his eyes slightly, opening his mouth to retaliate. Alice held up a hand to stop him. "No buts, my way or the highway."