Chapter Forty-One

Everyone was holding on tight to the dragon as it swooped down towards the rolling hills of the British countryside, everyone's arms thoroughly tired from holding themselves up for so long. They had gotten away from London without being followed, though they were in the clear now, and needed to figure out how to gracefully dismount a flying dragon.

As the dragon glided through the air, a lake came in to view. All five of them seemed to have the same idea as soon as they saw it, though none of them were excited for what they were about to do.

"I say we jump!" Ron yelled over the wind as the dragon flew over the lake, the murky water below them looking rather uninviting to Alice, though it was either that or solid ground. The lake was clearly the better option.

"When?" Hermione called back, tightening her grip to stop herself from slipping accidentally. Alice had no need to worry about that, since one of Draco's arms was still wrapped around her, preventing her from falling.

"Now!" Harry ordered, letting go of the dragon and dropping to the lake. Everyone else let go pretty much immediately after, five large splashes coming as each one of them was consumed in the icy water.

As soon as everyone surfaced from the chilling depths of the lake, they quickly began swimming to the edge, where they could climb out. It was harder than Alice expected, since the cold was so brutal that it almost felt as though she was being frozen, causing it to be difficult for her to swim. She managed, though, with only mild struggling.

Ron climbed the rocks first, bending down to help Hermione up, who was still in Bellatrix's outfit, making the swim even harder for her. Then Draco climbed out, easily pulling Alice out and then, surprisingly, offering Harry a hand up, too.

"You're going to catch a cold." Draco murmured with a frown, looking down to the shivering Alice, who was so cold that her lips had almost turned blue. Alice brushed off his concern, taking his shaking hand in hers.

"Is that really the biggest concern at the moment?" She asked, looking up to her boyfriend, who's wet, blonde hair was plastered to his forehead, he looked paler than ever. They began walking, following Harry, who seemed extremely bothered by something.

"He knows," Harry started through his panting, trying (like they all were) to regain his breath, "You-know-who. He knows we broke in to Gringotts, he knows what we took, and he knows we're hunting horcruxes." He rambled as the group made their way away from the lake, up the hill nearby. 

"How is it you know?" Hermione asked, clearly having a struggle with getting up the hill in the obnoxiously tall shoes she had to wear to imitate Bellatrix.

"I saw him." Harry admitted, causing Alice to give him a rather hard whack on the arm. Needless to say that Harry didn't appreciate it, although Draco couldn't help but find it funny.

"You're not meant to let him in, moron." She scolded Harry, her eyebrows furrowed together. She knew that if Voldemort could figure out where they were from invading Harry's brain, they were all as good as dead.

"Alice, I can't always help it!" He exclaimed, his stress causing his voice to raise. Alice completely ignored his tone, knowing full well that Harry didn't intend to yell. He had always been louder when stressed. "Well, maybe I can, I don't know." He added in a mumble.

"Legilimency." Draco muttered, causing Alice to raise an eyebrow, prompting him to further explain himself. "To severely dumb it down, mind reading. If Potter doesn't close his mind off to Voldemort, he could easily find out everything in seconds. I'm quite good at it, actually." He explained, looking mildly smug towards the end as he was singing his own praises.