Swords and Sorcerers

Merlin stood over Arthur's sleeping figure. The Prince hadn't stirred since they'd switched watch around midnight. It was now morning, the horses had been fed, and breakfast had been made.

Very gently, Merlin nudged Arthur with his foot.

The Prince continued to snore.

"Arthur?"

No response.

Merlin nudged him again.

Nothing.

Merlin kicked him in the side.

Arthur seemed to jump awake and draw his sword all at once, swinging the blade out towards Merlin and stopping short of his throat. "What the hell," Arthur breathed, "do you think you're doing?"

"My job."

"I could've had your head."

Merlin snorted. "Unlikely. Also," he added, turning away, "you should get up unless you want to be late to meet your Uncle."

Reluctantly, Arthur lowered his sword and dragged himself to his feet.

~~~

Despite Merlin's worries, the pair had managed to arrive in the designated clearing over an hour before they were due. It was a quiet, unassuming spot, with a small stream running down the west side, continuing for several miles until it emerged from the shaded woods in to the meadow valley below.

Arthur dismounted and stretched. "We wait here until they arrive."

"What if they're late? Do we leave then?"

Arthur shot him a glare, but his look softened as Merlin began to wander towards the stream. "Just make sure you stick to the edge of the clearing, alright? You stand in the open and you're an easy target."

"Relax," Merlin grinned, "when am I ever not careful?"

Arthur laughed. 

It had been days since that had last happened.  Since he'd genuinely laughed at something.  It came almost as a surprise.  It shouldn't have, though.   Merlin could always make him laugh.  And yet, lately, Arthur had been doing all he could to push him away.  And he hated it.  As idiotic as his manservant was, Arthur hated being appart from him.

But it was necessary. 

He had to be objective about this.  He didn't have a choice.  If what he suspected was true, then he had to find proof.  It was his duty as the Crown Prince.  His loyalty to Camelot had to come above all else.  It had to.  Even if it meant—

"What are you doing?" 

Arthur sighed.  "I was thinking, Merlin.  I know it must be something of an alien concept to you."

"Right, well when you're finished thinking, I thought you might want to know that Lord Agravaine is approaching."

Sure enough, three figures had entered the far side of the clearing and were slowly riding towards them. Lord Agravaine was in the centre, and had a servant either side.

"Next time," Arthur whispered, attempting to compose himself, "lead with that."

Merlin pulled a face.

Arthur hit him lightly across the arm.

"I hope your Uncle saw that."

"Shut up, Merlin."

~~~

The formalities of greeting had been carried out properly, if not a little awkwardly.  Arthur had bowed on his Uncle's approach, and Lord Agravaine had dismounted, given his own, slightly smaller bow, and then brought Arthur into a hug that involved far too much back clapping to have been comfortable.