Tiredness and Traitors

Merlin had not needed to be reminded how much of a prat Arthur could be; but if he had, being forced to wear the official ceremonial robes of the servants of Camelot would've definitely done the trick. For starters, there was way too much red. The shirt, the cape, the god awful hat — all of them were a bright, rich red. Then there was the decoration. The golden crest of Camelot, stamped across the front of the shirt, marked it as a uniform, but the red and green feathers that sprung outwards from the hat, and the stiffly turned up collar of the cape, made the whole outfit seem far too loud: like it belonged to a court jester or an overly flamboyant vampire.

Merlin hated it. He hated that he was dressed like an idiot. He hated that he was stood in the middle of the hall, holding a pitcher of water which the knights kept using as an excuse to teasingly order him around. And he hated that Arthur kept glancing over at him and laughing.

"Nice hat," Gwen giggled, moving to stand beside Merlin.

"Thanks."

"It's very..."

"Obnoxious?"

"I was going to say adventurous."

Merlin snorted. "You're lucky you have the privilege of bullying me. Where's your uniform?"

Gwen smoothed over her dress. It was the same one she'd been wearing in the throne room, though the bottom of the apron had since been embellished with a single, stitched sunflower.  "It was Morgana's idea," she smiled, "she said no one deserved to suffer through wearing the ceremonial uniforms."

"I'd have to agree."

"Well, Arthur clearly had other ideas."

Merlin sighed.  "Doesn't he always."

Gwen watched as Arthur threw another glance in Merlin's direction and started laughing all over again.  "I take it you two made up then?"

"Yeah.  Yes, we did."

"I'm glad."  She'd been about to ask what exactly they'd fallen out over, seeing as Merlin himself hadn't been quite sure, but then the music changed and people began moving towards the floor to dance. 

"I should probably refill this," Merlin held up the jug, "so I'll see you in a bit."

Gwen grinned.  "Is that code for 'I'm going to sneak off to the kitchens for a few minutes and sulk about my uniform'?"

"You know me too well."

"Just don't be too long," Gwen pleaded, "I don't want to be stood alone for the rest of the night."

After promising, twice, that he'd be back soon, Merlin started to wade through the crowds of people and made it almost as far as the corridor entrance before he bumped in to Arthur, who sniggered. 

"If you laugh at me one more time," Merlin warned.

Arthur held up his hands and suppressed a smile.  "Wouldn't dream of it."

"Right.  Well can you move then please?"

"Aww, leaving already?"