The Midnight Marriage

Somewhere in the depths of a dampened cave, a breeze breathed into life. It flew through the darkness with a delighted whistle and cast enough echoes to form a choir fine enough to match the birds. It burst into the open and soared; down from the tops of the snow-covered mountains, down past the glistening streams, and down through the forests, playing with the trees so long that it was given a parting gift — the first golden leaf of Autumn — to carry on its way. Its journey was not yet complete.  It swept, slowing now, past houses with smoking chimneys and through a pair of grand gates until, in a high up room, it spotted a man at a desk.

Softly, the breeze crept through the open window and came to rest.

Merlin looked up as his parchment stirred.  He'd half expected the sheets to scatter across the room.  Instead, they stilled almost instantly, their ink-patterned surfaces undisturbed except for a single leaf perched atop the smallest pile. 

The warlock smiled.  "Thank you," he said, though the room was empty.  "It's a shame I can't ask you to deliver these invites too.  I'm not that great at directions."

The room settled back into silence.

Then, several moments later, there was a knock at the door — immediately followed by a crash.

Merlin paused, quill in hand, and listened.

Someone swore.

"Arthur?" 

Silence.

Merlin pushed himself back from the desk, crossed the room and, opening the door, had to try very hard not to laugh. 

Arthur was stood, motionless, with his hands outstretched as though he was carrying something invisible.  The floor was littered with the splintered remains of a dropped vase.  Arthur was simply staring at it.

"Are you alright?"

"You're smiling," Arthur said, without looking up.

"Maybe."

"My favourite vase just broke and you're smiling."

"Since when did you have a favourite?"

"Since now."

Merlin raised an eyebrow.

"I just— I never drop things," he huffed. "Your clumsiness must be contagious, Merls."

"Whatever you say."

Arthur shot him a half-hearted glare, only to find Merlin's eyes had turned gold. It took his breath away. It always did. It was like catching a glimpse of Merlin's soul: beautiful and bright. It was captivating.

"Right, well when you've finished staring, do you want to sort the vase out? I have a few invites to finish and then I'm free for dinner."

"Sounds perfect."

Merlin grinned, gave him a quick kiss, and disappeared back into the room.

"Just to clarify," Arthur teased, still staring after his fiancé, "dinner would be meaning—?"

"Food, you prat."