The Great Dragon

Merlin, Morgana and Gwen stood in the centre of the temporary chambers, crowded around a solitary table.  Everything else had been pushed aside.  The four-posted bed, with its long, draping curtains, had been banished to the far corner of the room, along with several chairs and the bedside table.  The wardrobe occupied the wall opposite, and the third wall consisted solely of a padlocked door.  Then there were the windows; small, disused and dirtied.  They not only obscured the view but, in lacking curtains of any kind, could hardly be seen as a fire hazard. 

Every precaution possible had been taken.

"Well?" Gwen nodded to the box on the table. It was thin, silver, and carved with intricate patterns that gave it an incredible sense of delicacy and importance. "Are you going to open it?"

Merlin placed his hands either side of the box and, slowly, with both women watching him intently, he pulled back the lid.

Morgana frowned. "Uh, Merlin?"

"Yes?"

"Forgive me but— is it supposed to be filled with sand?"

He chuckled, staring at the small golden mound inside the box. "I know it doesn't look like much, but what's important is how you use it."

Morgana and Gwen exchanged glances.

"Here." Not taking his eyes off the box, Merlin took a steady breath and whispered: "forbearnan." The sand set alight immediately. He allowed the flames to remain for several moments, long enough for the others to take them in, and then, gently, closed the lid. When he reopened it, the fire had gone.

"How?" Morgana whispered.

"The most important thing about magic," Merlin smiled, "is control. Knowing the right spell is helpful, but magic is so much more than just the words."

Morgana nodded. "I didn't use a spell to light that candle last night."

"Exactly. That's why the ability to control magic is so important and, coincidentally, that's what this box is for."

"What do you want me to do with it?"

"The same as I did."

Morgana's eyes widened. "I don't think that's a good idea. I mean, look what happened last time I used magic to create fire."

"You're inexperienced," Merlin shrugged, "you just need a little practice. Besides, this time you've got help."

"What if something goes wrong?  I don't want to put either of you in danger—"

"Morgana," Gwen placed a hand on her shoulder, "it's okay.  You can do this."

"Alright. Tell me what to do."

Merlin smiled. He felt an enormous sense of relief in realising that Morgana trusted him — completely — as if the dragon's words, weighing heavy on his heart, had finally started to lift, like a morning mist. "The word is 'forbearnan'," he laughed a little as the others' eyes suddenly darted to the box, "but without intent it's merely a word.  To cast the spell you have to concentrate."

Taking her time, Morgana repeated the word back to him, like an echo.  The word felt strange on her tongue.  It was like trying a new food for the first time; she wasn't sure if she liked it.