What It Is To Wake

Merlin was more than relieved when they finally entered the courtyard. The mid-afternoon sun had been scorching ever since they'd left the cover of the trees, and the sight of the shaded stone steps was more than inviting.

"Good hunt?" Morgana stood at the top of the steps, Gwen by her side, looking completely at ease. It was almost impossible to believe she'd been so restless mere hours before.

"No, actually," Arthur huffed, dismounting, "Merlin here managed for scare away the deer."

Merlin glared at him.

"Go on Merlin, tell them how you managed it."

Arthur was enjoying this far too much. Of course, Merlin knew they had to stick to the hunt story so no one would become suspicious, but it was just so typical of Arthur to blame him — even when the situation was completely imaginary.

Merlin sighed and dismounted to join the others in the shade. "Yep, it's true. Turns out I'm just not cut out for hunting."

Gwen smiled and glanced over at Morgana. They often did this, when something strange or interesting was happening. Just a look, that was all. It had become habit after years spent around nobles where they couldn't just speak freely. This time, the look meant something like: it's funny when Merlin gets annoyed at Arthur, or do they ever stop teasing each other? or how much do you want to bet that they didn't go hunting at all?

But Morgana wasn't looking at Gwen. Not this time. She was staring straight ahead, and seemed suddenly paler.

"Milady? Is everything alright?"

Morgana was staring at the Prince with a frown. "Your shirt's ripped."

"He tore it on a bramble," Merlin said, smugly, "and he says I'm clumsy."

"You are clumsy," Arthur countered, "you just got lucky this time."

"Lucky how? I'm the one who has to fix it."

"Precisely. Think of it as an honour."

"Sometimes I really do hate you."

Arthur's face split into a smile, his eyes lighting up as he laughed. For some people, a laugh, like a smile, was a causal thing.  It was something small or polite, a way to keep things from becoming awkward.  But Arthur was different.  When he laughed, he did it with his whole body.  And it was vulnerable and beautiful and fascinating all at once.  Because when he laughed, he meant it. 

Merlin tried his best not to smile.  "I'm serious!"

"Of course you are," Arthur grinned, not looking the slightest bit concerned.

"Will you excuse me," Morgana interrupted, giving a slight bow, "I'm not feeling so good. I think I need to lie down." Then, without waiting for a reply, she turned and strode back into the castle, leaving the other three stood awkwardly on the steps.

Arthur's smile fell. "Was it something I said?"

Gwen shook her head.  "She seemed unwell; I should tend to her."  And with a graceful curtesy, Gwen disappeared inside.

~~~

Gwen knocked softly on Morgana's door.

There was no answer.

"Morgana? It's me, Gwen."

Still nothing.

"I'm going to come in, alright?" Slowly, she pushed open the chamber door and stepped inside.

Morgana was sat on the edge of her bed, staring blankly at the wall and clutching a pillow to her chest. It looked like she'd been crying.

Gwen took a seat beside her. "Milady? Are you alright? Do you need anything?"

It took several moments before Morgana finally turned and looked at her. Until then, Gwen wasn't even sure if she'd registered that there was someone else in the room. "I had a nightmare, Gwen. Last night."

"About what?"

"I hardly know, it seemed so strange. Images kept flashing through my mind so quickly that I barely had the chance to understand them. And it was so intense. It was as if I was experiencing them all at once. It sounds harmless now, but I was terrified. I woke up in shock and had to see Gaius—" Morgana adjusted the pillow, gripping it even tighter.

"Shhhh," Gwen soothed, placing a hand on her shoulder, "it's over now, you're awake."

Morgana shook her head. "That's the problem. In my nightmare, I saw Arthur stood outside with that slash through his shirt. I didn't get a good look — I didn't see him laugh — I only glimpsed the tear before the next image was forcing its way into my mind."

"Perhaps it's a coincidence?"

"No, it happened in exactly the same way as my dream, I'm certain of it. I saw it. And Gwen, if that came true, so might the other images. These flashes, these visions, what if they all come true? What if—"

"Morgana, what did you see?"  Gwen was doing all she could to keep her voice steady.  There was something about Morgana's manner that frightened her.  It wasn't just the way she was clutching the pillow, or the way her eyes had become puffy and reddened with tears.  That was normal for a nightmare.  That was to be expected.  No, what scared her was the way Morgana was looking at her: with pity.  And that's when Gwen knew.  Whatever Morgana had seen, it was bad.  It was beyond bad. 

It was terrifying.

Morgana strengthened her resolve. There was only one thing for it: "I saw a great shadow in the sky, and Camelot in flames."