Chapter 11

Sol's POV

Put simply, Sol was not looking forward to training with Blaze. After talking with Xofos, it sounded like she'd rather jump off a cliff capeless than train with anyone, so Sol had settled on not practicing with weapons - just to be safe. Sol had picked a spot he'd hoped was relatively safe as well, no cliffs, no rocks, just flat snowy ground until it met the base of the mountains that surrounded the ice rink.

"So what are we working on today, Mr. Solomon?" Blaze asked, walking up to him, "It better not be something boring, 'cause I was in the middle of something very interesting."

"And what was that?" Sol asked, raising an eyebrow. She seemed much happier than the last time they'd trained together.

"Ereven and Xofos didn't mind if I listened to them talk." Blaze leaned back on her heels, turning her gaze away from him, "Apparently they have a murder mystery book club - or something like that - and they race to see who can find out the murderer first. I was being sarcastic when I said it was interesting."

"You must've been listening for a while then, huh?"

Blaze shrugged, "I was bored, there's never anything to do,"

"Well good thing we're doing something now, right?"

"I actually have a question." Blaze ignored his question, continuing as if he hadn't said anything. "How is it that all you Elders are so good at fighting?"

"I don't think we're that good-" Sol started to say, but Blaze held up a hand, interrupting him.

"I get that you're trying to be humble, but I actually want to know."

Sol looked at her, grinning, "I'll tell you if you promise to actually train with me,"

Blaze shrugged, "Sure, you're not as annoying as Xofos so it should be fine."

"Wonderful!" Sol said, "First things first, I don't really know how to fight-"

"Blaze interrupted him, "Then why are you teaching me?"

Sol sighed, "Let me finish. I was going to say without weapons. Veton and Elvira didn't want to teach you because they think you're annoying." At Blaze's expression, he raised his hands, "Their words not mine."

"Nothing says 'let's be friends' more than that," Blaze grumbled.

Sol sighed, shaking his head, "I was only telling you because I've never done this before, but I do know what should work and what shouldn't."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Blaze asked him, "That you don't know what you're doing?"

"No! I'm saying that, well," He paused to think for a moment, "Say I mostly fought with kicks, then to fight me you'd have to move closer, so I wouldn't be able to kick you, right?"

Blaze nodded, "Okay, I think I get what you're saying."

Sol inclined his head towards her slightly, "Right, so show me your best fighting stance."

"I don't know any," Blaze replied.

"Oh, I assumed you had at least some experience from," Sol paused, a sheepish grin on his face, "from fighting your brother."