26. " Are You Looking For Me?"

Nasir

We walked into the gala just like all the others in the past

We walked into the gala just like all the others in the past. As a picture perfect family. The difference this time was that the cameras, guests, not even the staff was focused on us. They were all focused on the commotion in the middle of the room. My mother was extremely quiet as we began walking closer towards the crowd.

I heard Daisy whispering to gran " look nana it's Chelle. Nas girlfriend"

I watched as she stole a glance towards my father who was already pissed" I see Chile. Let's see how this all plays out"
Dominic and Hakeem were quiet for once. Everyone just stopped and listened to her.

".......Many will never know that fear
When you're stopped by the police
Questioning if you'll make it home tonight.
Afraid to bring a child into a world
Where they'll hate them because of their skin.
Where it's kill first ask questions later.
This is Being Black in America.
This is built up anger.
That was the pot boiling over.

Don't matter who I am
Or what position I hold
I can get shot by the police
For just raising my hands
Cause my color is the weapon

Tired of seeing people die and fight
For EQUALITY in the "land of the free"
Where you see
Many more mad of the stores destroyed,
Petitions being signed & People protesting
But not the injustice of the system or
the many black lives taken
All Black Lives Matter
What's not clicking ?
They say a riot is the language of the unheard
So i have to ask

Are you even listening ?

I was beginning to walk towards Chelle when my father held me back and my mother cleared her throat to get everyone's attention.

As they turned around and notice us staff went back to work, a few guest started retreating to their seats. Resuming what they were doing before

I heard my mother speak towards Chelle " And who might you be? " silence fell over the room as my mother spoke. She always had that effect on people. She got their attention .

Here go Mason yelling lies from across the room

" That's Biscuit! My girlfriend!"

He came pushing through the crowd towards Chelle and hugged her " it was gud Chelle, I liked it"

She finally spoke up since she seen us. She gave him a kiss " thanks pumpkin". She look towards my mother again and smiled" Hello I'm Michelle Wright and you must be Mrs.Morgan it's a pleasure to meet you"

" Hello you can just call me mama Mary your word was really great. You know my son Nasir asked me to invite a friend of the family Ms. Dove to the gala I hope you had a chance to meet her"