["Protecting You" AU] (L) Smug! Dabi x Reader (I Hate to Love You)

A/N: In this AU, you are 18+ and are single. 

Sexually Explicit Content Ahead.

The last year of your life has been so fucking annoying. 

You were trying to scale the hero charts as the Phantom Hero: Astral, but this same fucking villain has been showing up at every turn...every time you were trying to make a breakthrough. You swore he had it out for you, but he never really attacked or hurt you. He simply just wanted to show up to hear you yell at him...so he could smile right in your face.

"Dabi...what do you want this time you dickbag." This time the asshole had the audacity to just show up at your Tokyo apartment and was casually sipping coffee despite it being past 8 PM. He was leaning against your counter, a thin white tank top and black ripped jeans adorning his lean yet muscular figure. Dark purple scars coated his arms up to his thick biceps, his lips down to his chin also scarred. His hair was freshly dyed black which only emphasized his cerulean eyes more. They practically glowed in comparison to the dark hair and the violet patches on his skin.

"I was bored. Decided breaking and entering was a good way to kick off the evening." He grinned with bright white teeth, his canines exposed. You placed your house keys on the hook near your door, locking it behind you. At this point, you weren't even going to bother to try and catch him or lock him up. He always found a way out no matter what you did...it was just straight-up frustrating.

"Yeah, me breaking your asshole when I enter my foot up your ass." You gritted as you walked to the refrigerator to grab your leftovers to heat up from the night before. Hero work was downright exhausting, especially since Endeavor was assigning you mission after mission. Dabi continued to smirk at you, knowing full well that his presence grated you but couldn't help but admit seeing you always brought a sense of excitement to him. He loved grabbing your attention...but it was always by annoying you and making your life miserable. He incited you with rage, agitation, and fury...just to see your eyes narrow with that crimson glow of hate that turned him on so much.

But today you were tired...and you were emotionally exposed.

"That wasn't very nice sweetheart. After I took time out of my busy day of ruining peoples' lives just so see you...don't break my heart now." His voice always gave you feelings of a slow-burning heat...like cigarette ash or a smooth poison that made its way through your veins. Acting so familiar with a wanted criminal was wrong, especially for a hero, but at this point did it matter anymore?

The two of you were relatively quiet as you microwaved leftover beef and rice from last night's takeout, eating it as your first meal of the day. Dabi knew this as he heard how hard your stomach was growling in reaction to the sustenance. 

"You should eat more often. How else are you gonna catch big baddies like me? Little Miss Superhero..." His voice was teasing, even mocking you for not being able to capture him, but the concern was there. You raised an eyebrow at him as you scoffed down your food, not even thinking about offering him any. After all, dude was a fucking murderer. You didn't owe him shit.

"How kind of you to pretend to care. I'll try to keep that in mind the next time I see you on the news for trying to burn down an orphanage or something." Your voice was laced in venom and he absolutely loved it. Dabi would bathe in the tone and threat you gave off...as he always thought you were the hottest when you were on the attack. Almost like admiring the prowl of a lioness as she hunted for prey...it was fluid and powerful with every movement calculated.

"Sweetheart you know I only burn those that deserve it or do me wrong. Kids would be a waste of time." Dabi finally finished his coffee just as you finished your food. You took his coffee cup and your bowl and put them in the sink to deal with later. Your fingers brushed together for a half-second and a shot of electricity pumped straight from your fingertips right to your heart. The two of you connected gazes for a second...close enough to each other that you could see the man he was underneath all of those brutal scars...the gentle and kind Touya Todoroki that would have been.