12

🐰

The second my lips touched his, I could feel the pull between us. It was like a magnet to iron. As soon as the distance between us was closed, my whole body connected to his, and I couldn’t tear myself away. I only leaned into the kiss as a brief distraction to prove to Chim that I wasn’t some kind of figment of his nocturnal imagination. I figured a quick peck might be enough of a shock to get him focused on reality so I could explain what was going on. But as soon as we merged, there was no way I could explain anything at all.

All reason and thoughts and logic left my mind, and the only word I could conjure through the haze of lust was… Mate.

My mate.

My tongue gently swept across the seam of his soft lips, and he instinctively opened for me, inviting me to taste his sweetness and seeking me out in return. The moan that escaped from deep in my chest wasn’t intentional. My whole body was acting on primal needs that were inherent to who I was. The animal within me, no matter how docile it seemed in normal situations, was wailing and thrashing and begging me to give him what he wanted.

And he wanted Jimin.

Almost as much as I did.

We both pulled back for air at the same time as Jimin’s eyes were just starting to focus. “I don’t understand.”

I smiled and kissed the tip of his nose. “I’m not entirely sure I do either.”

“So, I’m not crazy?” He said the words slowly as if trying to convince himself it was okay to ask such a thing. “Or am I?”

My grin grew wider as I pulled him against my chest. “Maybe a little, but not about this.”

“So you’re...a bunny?” His head was resting on my shoulder, and he didn’t pull away.

I wondered if he was as afraid of the answer as I was of giving it. “Yeah.”

He chest inflated on an inhale but didn’t constrict for several long seconds.

“Are you okay with that?”

Jimin finally blew out a slow breath and pulled back to look me in the eyes. “I don’t care as much about the bunny thing as that other thing I just felt.” His eyes darted down to my chest then he looked up at me again. “What was that?”

Playing games wasn’t really my style, but I couldn’t tell him the truth. I was 99% sure I knew what was happening between us, but I was afraid that if I laid too much on Jimin at once, he might hate me. Or worse, he would send me away.

If I was right about the mate link between us, I wouldn’t survive being turned away. “I’m not sure.”

He narrowed his eyes as if he didn’t fully believe me, but he had other questions for me. “Well, what about your injury?” He stepped back so he could get a good look at me. When his gaze landed below my belt, his eyes got big and his breath hitched. “You look amazing.”

Humility wasn’t one of my personality traits so I smirked and subtly flexed my abs. “Thanks. I work out.”

The joke was sorta meant to ease some of the tension in the room but it mostly just distracted Jimin from appreciating my body. “I mean, you’re not hurt as a man. What about your bunny? Is he still hurting?”

“Nope.” I started picking up our discarded clothes, and we quietly got dressed as I worked out some kind of explanation that wasn’t a lie but that wouldn’t lead him to asking any more questions I wasn’t ready to answer. “We’re both 100% strong and healthy, thanks to you.”

“Oh, okay.” His brows furrowed and he seemed to be contemplating so many things at once.

The confused expression on Chim’s face was too adorable for me to ignore so I leaned forward and kissed him again. “I mean it, Chim. Thank you.”

“Chim?” His lips curled up in a shy smile. “I like it.”

“Me too.” I reached for his hand and waited for him to grab mine. “Any chance we can make a sandwich while we talk? I’m starving.”

* * *

I took a huge bite of the Sandwich Chim made for me then took a full minute to slowly chew and appreciate how delicious meat could be. Eating raw veggies for days made me miss the savory bounty of happiness that only bacon could provide. As soon as I washed down the bite with a gulp of beer, I was able to process all that Jimin had told me. “So you think Doc knows what’s going on between us?”

“Well, I’m not sure about that.” Jimin shrugged, and his cheeks looked slightly flushed. “But I think he does know you’re a shifter, and he specifically asked me to bring you by to see him, so...I think we should go.”

I took another bite and kept my gaze locked on Jimin’s. He was so pretty. Just looking at him made me starving for more than just food. I wanted him so damn bad.

But it wasn’t the time to think that way. I didn’t know if this Doc character was a threat or not. “How do you know it’s not a trap?”

“Trap for what?” He popped a carrot in his mouth and chewed loudly. Apparently, he wasn’t sick of rabbit food. “Did you do something illegal?”

“Well, no.” I didn’t really have a good reason for not visiting this Doc guy other than the fact that he was a stranger and I had an inherent distrust in strangers. If I were one of the apex shifters, I wouldn’t fear anyone or anything. But as a bunny, I was vulnerable in my animal form and needed to be careful who I trusted with my secret. “But I don’t like to go around advertising that I turn into a two-pound bunny in my spare time.”

Jimin reached across the table and rested his hand on mine. “We can trust Doc. My grams said he was good people, and she knew people. Please.”

I couldn’t say no to Jimin, no matter how much I wanted to. Besides, I needed to figure out how to get my car and clothes back. “Yeah, okay. We can head out in the morning. ”