17

Jimins pov

A week passed and we fell into a kind of normalcy. During the day, I took care of the animals and Jungkook started working on the long list we came up with on the house, bringing the standards as close to code as we could get on our own. And as evening fell, we’d share a meal together and end the night sweaty and panting.

On the surface, everything was perfect. But just beneath that lay the inevitability that Jungkook was leaving and I’d be alone again, only this time, my heartbreak wouldn’t be over the death of a family member. This time, I would be mourning in an endless cycle of what ifs.

What if he had stayed? What if I’d gone with him? What if we could’ve been more?

“I’m going to make some lunch.” Jungkook put the tool box down on the table with a clank. “I’m so hungry I could eat the asshole out of a skunk.”

“My grandmother used to say that, and it is just as gross coming from you as it was coming from her.” I saved my file and shut my laptop. “I can make lunch. You’ve been working hard all day. You should get something cold to drink.” He’d been building a new pen for a lamb that was being dropped off on the weekend. The poor thing was recuperating at the vet’s place after getting hit by a car after someone had abandoned it.

He raised an eyebrow at me. “You’ve been working too.”

“While sitting on my ass the whole time.” I seriously hated my job. Even sitting around was exhausting. I stood up, yawning.

“See? You’re tired. I’ll make lunch.” He closed the distance between us, standing so close I could feel his breath against my cheek. “Or we could start with dessert.”

I wasn’t stupid.

“Dessert sounds delight—”

“Jimin!” The sound of Jisung calling me broke the spell between us and we snapped apart, my heart racing. Please don’t let his other dog be dead.

“Just a second.” I jogged out of the house to see Jisung standing there wearing a hoodie, his hands in the center pocket and his eyes sunken in. The kid needed sleep, and from the looks of it, some better nutrition. “Hey. It’s good to see you.” I smiled up at him, but his eyes looked past me.

“Who’s he?” He nodded his head to indicate Jungkook who was standing behind me.

“This is my friend, Jungkook.” I held my hand out for Jungkook to take so Jisung could see he wasn’t a threat. “He’s helping me around the farm.”

“So you’re keeping it?” His hopeful eyes spoke volumes about how he really felt.

“Yeah, if I can figure out how.” Saying it out loud for the first time just felt right. “It’s what my Grams wanted.”

Jase squeezed my hand in support of my decision.

“That’s awesome.” Jisung twisted his foot in the dirt, forming a little indent. “I was hoping to see my rabbit if she’s okay.”

“He’s fine,” Jungkook answered for me. Did he forget there wasn’t actually a rabbit to be seen? “I gotta go do a thing.” He leaned in and kissed my cheek. “Can you grab Bunny for him because I have that thing?”