23

With the gunshot and subsequent activity, Jimin and I didn’t get a chance to talk. At all. When he said he wanted to ride with Doc, I chalked it up to him wanting to be there for Jisung. The poor kid had been through a lot in a short period of time, and he was probably in at least a minor state of shock.

While Doc looked over Jimin, I sat with Jisung in the waiting room. “So, you okay?”

He took in a deep breath and nodded. “Yeah, I knew that already.”

“Knew what?”

“That he’s not my dad. My mom told me a long time ago. I just didn’t have anyone else to be my dad so I pretended he was.”

My heart broke as I wrapped my arm around his shoulders and pulled him against my side. “Yeah, I didn’t get a great family either, but there’s good news…”

“There is?” He looked at me with big eyes and so much hope I couldn’t disappoint this kid. “What good news?”

“Well, now you get a new family. Someone who wants to be your dad...and you always have me and Jimin too. Anytime you need family, we’ll be here for you.”

He flung his little arms around me and squeezed as hard as he could. “Thanks, Jungkook. I want you to be my family now.”

I held him tightly, holding back my own tears. “I want that too, kid.”

* * *

On the drive back to the farm, Jimin and I still didn’t really talk. It was almost awkward but not quite. Something felt tense between us, and I was starting to wonder if coming back was a mistake. Maybe Jimin didn’t want me back in his life. He seemed happy when he first saw me, but that could have been because a drunk man was pointing a gun at his head. He might have been just as happy to see the mailman at that point.

When we arrived at the house, I got out and followed Jimin into the barn to feed the animals, but I couldn't handle the silence any longer so I stopped at the door and reached for his arm, stopping him too. “Are you mad that I’m back?”

Jimin pursed his lips and gave a slight shake of his head. “No, but...why are you back, Jungkook? You basically said I’d never see you again.”

I threw my head back and took a deep breath. These words weren’t easy to say out loud, but I couldn’t hold them in any longer. “You’re my mate, Jimin. And I’m yours.”

“Your mate?” Jimin swayed on his feet, so I pulled him up against my chest and held him tightly. He felt so good in my arms, exactly where he belonged.

His scent was a little...off, and when I held him tightly, his body felt different too. But I figured it was just because I hadn’t held him in so long. Being gone for two weeks probably wouldn’t sound like a long time for most people, but for me, it was an eternity. “I’ve missed you so much, Chim.”

“Me too.” He rubbed his eyes on my shirt and looked up at me. “So, you’re staying?”

I leaned down and kissed him, loving how he tasted on my lips. Two weeks was way too long. I could never leave him again. “For as long as you’ll have me.”

His eyes glittered with moisture, but he pulled away and grabbed the hose. “Let’s get finished up in here so we can get inside. I have some updates for you.”