Is it you?

It was a beautiful Sunday morning in the middle of December.
Rose and Oliver had chosen this day to throw a grand engagement party.
The environment was merry, it was a beautifully decorated pool-side setting. Everyone was moving around chit-chatting, sipping their cocktails and enjoying the snacks.

Mew stood in a corner, holding his drink, gazing off into the distance, when Rose approached him.

"Hey Mew! Party too dull for you?" She asked, jokingly.

Mew smiled. "Nothing of yours can ever be dull."

Rose looked at him with a sad smile. "I invited him, you know. I thought maybe he wouldn't miss this, and maybe you both would have a chance to reconcile."

Mew sighed.

"Even if he was here, there would be no reconciliation. He doesn't want anything to do with me anymore, he was clear on that. It's a big day for you, let's just focus on celebrating that, okay?" Mew gave Rose a slight smile.

Rose nodded, smiling back.

"There you are!" exclaimed Oliver, coming towards them. He grinned at Rose and then looked towards Mew.
"Drowning in sorrow as usual, eh Mew?"

Mew huffed, "I'm enjoying the party, thank you very much!"

Oliver laughed, "Well, I'll have to borrow my fiancée, Mom wants to introduce her to some relatives. You can either continue your solitary sulking in the corner or go mingle with the newly arrived guest."

Mew and Rose turned to look towards the entrance.

"GULF!" exclaimed Rose and dashed towards him to give him a hug.

Oliver shook his head and followed her muttering "the relatives can wait I guess".

Mew stood there, frozen to the spot.

It had been six months since he had seen him. His Gulf, the one he never thought he could go a day without talking to. His best friend, his family.... his love.

It had been six months and Mew still couldn't understand why Gulf had left. The fight they had wasn't big, and while Mew knew he was at fault, he never thought Gulf would leave him for such a small matter. Mew had apologized and begged, but Gulf was determined to break all connections with him. After all the ups and downs they had seen together and all the times they had faught and reconciled, Mew couldn't understand why such a petty thing caused them to fall apart.

After a decade of being friends, Mew had realised what he felt for Gulf was more than friendship. He was in love with Gulf. When he had confessed an year ago, Gulf was shocked, and eventually replied that he didn't feel the same for Mew. He just wanted them to be friends like they had always been and not mention the love thing ever again.
It had shattered Mew's heart, but he didn't want to lose Gulf, so he accepted the situation. Their friendship had survived through that.

Six months ago, in an office party Mew had seen Gulf being close and chatting happily with Amy. Jealousy got the better of him and later that night, at their shared apartment, they had had an argument over it. The next morning, Mew went to Gulf's room to apologize but Gulf had already packed his stuff and was ready to leave. Nothing Mew said broke his resolve. The next day, Gulf had avoided him in the office as well, and that continued for a whole week. The next week Gulf was gone from the office too. Mew came to know that Gulf had applied for a transfer to another city a month ago and that had been accepted. This baffled Mew, because Gulf hadn't mentioned about the tranfer to him and their fight happened much later.

After that Mew tried every channel to contact Gulf but wasn't able to get Gulf to talk to him. After a month, frustrated with Mew's attempts, Gulf had sent him an email saying that he didn't want Mew in his life, he didn't want his friendship and definitely didn't want his love. He requested Mew to let him be.
Mew stopped his attempts after that.

It had been 6 months since he had last seen Gulf, and now that Gulf was in front of him, he could do nothing but stare.