Dancing in the rain

There was silence in the room.
Gulf was looking down to avoid Mew's gaze on him.
There was a lot going on in Mew's head. Gulf's sudden confession was hard to process and understand for him as Gulf's actions the last time they met and his words now did not seem to fit.
Gulf, meanwhile didn't know what to do now that he told Mew the secret that he had intended to keep from him forever.

The silence was broken by the pitter patter of rain against the glass window of the room. Mew looked to the window and sighed. He was reminded of a childhood memory of theirs.

Mew loved it when it rained, he would always rush outside to jump around and play in the rain whenever he could. Gulf, on the other hand, always reprimanded him for doing that, telling him that he could get sick.

One day during their summer vacation when they were just strolling around in the evening, arguing about which superhero was the best, it started to rain. Gulf quickly grabbed Mew's hand and brought them under a shelter.

Mew eyed Gulf, "You know we are not made of paper, right? Gulf, it is so much fun to play in the rain! You're so scared of catching cold that you won't even give it a try?"

Gulf sighed, "It's not like I don't like rain, but I don't wanna get sick and worry my parents"

Mew rolled his eyes, "It's not like we're doing anything life threatening".
Then he grinned at Gulf.
"It's ok to get sick sometimes or get a little scolding from our parents. They'll enjoy telling stories of our naughtiness when we grow up! My grandparents absolutely love telling me stuff like that" he said in a matter-of-fact tone, and then, without a warning, he pulled Gulf out in the rain.

Gulf was flustered for a bit, but eventually started enjoying it. They were jumping in puddles and running after each other. Gulf's laughter had made Mew enjoy the rain so much more than he had enjoyed by himself or with his other friends.
Was it then that he had started falling in love without even realising it?

"Gulf, you need to speak" Mew said, turning his gaze back to Gulf.

Gulf groaned and looked up, "what do you want to hear?"

"The truth", Mew stated.

Gulf sighed and proceeded to tell him how he had gotten to realise that he was in love with Mew too. He told him about the fears that had cropped up in his head and the decisions he had taken. He had to do what he did so that his parents wouldn't be hurt and Mew would move on and find someone more suitable. He also admitted how painful all of this was for him and how much he longed to be with Mew.

Mew had been listening to everything quietly.

"Mew, say something", Gulf pleaded.

Mew blinked. "You love me", he said softly.

Gulf's expression changed from sorrow to frustration. "From such a long monologue of mine, that's all you heard?", he asked.

Mew smiled, "Well, I heard all of it and we would get back to talking about the other parts later, but yeah, that was the highlight for me and for now that's all I want to think about!"

Gulf smiled too, he didn't want to think about anything else for now either. He was with Mew after so long, he couldn't deny his heart this happiness after the endless suffering it had gone through.

Mew leaned in and gave a quick peck on Gulf's lips.
Before Gulf could process what just happened, Mew was pulling him by the arms and taking him to the terrace. "Come on, we're going to dance in the rain", Mew said with a bright smile.

------

A/N: Thanks for the votes, comments and for adding this story to your reading list! I'll write and publish the next chapter soon. Meanwhile, I'd be happy to read your opinions and feedback in the comments.