Truth

The more than two hours drive to the hospital, where Gulf's father was admitted back in their home-town, had been filled with stress and fear for Gulf and Mew. Gaia had eventually called again to inform that their father had fainted due to stress, exhaustion and not having had proper meals.

When Mew and Gulf finally rushed into the hospital room where Gulf's father was, they found Gaia, Mom and Dad sitting in silence.

"Dad" Gulf called out. His father's eyes darted towards him and then back to the floor he was staring at previously.

He approached his father's bed and sat down beside him.

"Dad" Gulf called out again softly. "I know you're angry with me. I know I couldn't give you the happiness you expected from me. But dad, neglecting your health and being like this is too cruel a punishment for me! I'm your son, you can't do this to me... Just find some other way to punish me, please don't be like this" Gulf said as his voice broke with emotions.

His father looked up at him with eyes brimming with tears but did not respond.

"Dad, please" Gulf pleaded as tears streamed down his cheeks. That's when his father also broke down and started to cry.

Gulf quickly hugged his father and stroked his back. "Dad, I'm sorry" he said as he cried along with his father.

After some time, his father pulled away and looked at Gulf, "I'm the one who should be apologizing to you, son. You did nothing wrong. All this time I was hurt wondering why did you change? Why did you leave? Why didn't you choose us like you always did? Did our love mean nothing to you anymore?"
He sighed and continued, "I was so busy with my self pity that I didn't see the truth that was right in front of me. You didn't leave me, you always loved and cared. It was I who abandoned my son. Instead of being happy for you and supporting you, I gave you sorrow. You are a perfect son, I'm sorry that I let you carry the weight of my expectations all along. I should have encouraged you always to go after your happiness. I couldn't in the past, but from now on I'll always do that. I hope you can forgive me".

Gulf was frozen for a few seconds while what his father said sunk in. Then he hugged his father again. "Thank you, dad. Thank you so much! I love you, I'm beyond happy, there's nothing to forgive!"

Gulf's father then looked to Mew, "I'm sorry, Son. I increased the complications in both your lives. I'm grateful to you for loving and taking care of Gulf all along. Thank you!"

Mew gave him a wide smile and then looked at Gaia and Mom. They all grinned and went to the bed to give Dad a group hug.
They were together again, finally.

***

An year later...

Gulf and Mew were cuddled up watching a horror movie at night. Suddenly there was a jump scare scene and Mew's grip on Gulf's waist tightened. Gulf looked at him and smiled fondly, "Mew, what do you think of marriage?"

Mew paused the movie, turned his face to Gulf and asked with an incredulous look, "how does a deadly ghost make you think of marriage? The way your brain works!"

Gulf rolled his eyes, "I have been thinking from some time, things are good with our parents, everything is going great, let's get married"

"Hmm.. We'll discuss it later. Let's finish this movie and go to sleep. After months we've been able to plan this weekend getaway, we need to leave for it early tomorrow morning",  Mew replied, playing the movie and shifting his focus on the screen.

Gulf didn't press the matter further. He didn't have any doubt that Mew loved him and would want to get married with him, but he was worried that there was something bothering Mew. Mew had acted strange on certain occasions and Gulf had a feeling that Mew was hiding something from past few weeks. Gulf sighed and shifted his focus back to the movie. He would give Mew a few more days to share whatever it was on his own, otherwise he'll bring up the topic.

-----

A/N: Sorry about the delay. To compensate, I'll do a double update.
Let me know your thoughts in the comments section!