Bad decision

Gulf had had a little too much to drink. He was eyeing Mew and Chris as they were deeply engaged in a conversation.
Jealousy was making him mad and he was downing drink after drink to make that feeling go away, but it wasn't helping much.

"Are you ok, Gulf?" Kate sat next to him with a concerned look. She had been his boss until six months ago.

When Mew and Gulf had joined their office as freshers, she and Oliver had guided them alot. More than senior-subordinate, they had become friends after that. Then one day Mew had set up Oliver and Rose, who was one of their closest friend in college, on a blind date. They had clicked together and that had eventually led to this engagement party which looked more like a college plus office reunion to Gulf.

Gulf shrugged, "I'm fine".

"I hope that was true" sighed Kate, "even if you both don't tell Gulf, all of your friends know something is seriously wrong".

Gulf just stared in Mew's direction and asked Kate "It seems Mew and Chris are getting along really well now. I wonder when they'll start going out, or are they going out already?" Jealousy and alcohol were taking a toll on him.

Kate frowned "Well, since you left, Mew hasn't been his outgoing self. It's actually good that Chris puts in so much to get him to talk. I don't think it's good for Mew to be so closed off and detached."

"Yeah, Chris is good for him" Gulf gulped down the rest of his drink and stood up, taking the support of the bar to balance himself, "I've got to go Kate, please let Rose and Oliver know that I had to leave in a hurry due to some urgent work."

"I don't think you're in the condition to go anywhere on your own Gulf, I'll drop you" protested Kate but Gulf shook his head.

"Please stay and enjoy the party, I'm calling a cab" saying that Gulf turned and started staggering towards the exit.

Coming here was a bad decision, he thought. He wasn't yet ready to see Mew and act normally. Seeing him with someone else and thinking about him moving on hurt like hell.

He somehow made it to the exit but there he lost his balance and was about to fall when he felt someone holding him.

He turned his face to look. His eyes widened.

"Mew!"

"I'm taking you home, Gulf" Mew said, "we need to talk after you sober up".

Gulf was too tired to argue, and it didn't help his case that he actually just wanted to go with Mew and forget about all his worries. He just rolled his eyes, mumbled "whatever" and let Mew take him to his apartment, which was once theirs.

After reaching home, Mew gave Gulf water and made him lie down in his old room. "Rest for a while, I'm going to the drawing room, call me if you need anything" Mew stood up to leave but Gulf suddenly caught his wrist.

"Please don't go" Gulf looked to him with watery eyes.

Mew sat down again next to him. Gulf buried his head in Mew's arms and started crying uncontrollably. Mew was startled.

"Hey Gulf, what's wrong?" He asked in a soft and concerned voice, "tell me please, I can't see you like this"

"And I can't see the person I'm in love with losing their spark because of me" Gulf said between his sobs, "and even though I want them to be happy, I'm so pathetic that I can't even appreciate if someone else is being their happiness".

Mew felt a stab in his heart. Had Gulf met some girl and fallen in love with her in the past six months? And why was he so heartbroken, did she love someone else? Mew felt tears streaming down his eyes too. He couldn't tolerate seeing Gulf in so much pain.

Mew just continued rubbing his back to calm him down. All the alcohol and exhaustion from crying was taking a toll on Gulf. He sighed "I love you Mew" and dozed off.

Mew blinked, did he hear it correctly? Was his wishes making him delusional?
Mew shook his head. If Gulf loved him then they wouldn't have been in this situation in the first place, he smiled sadly and went out to lay on the couch.

Gulf woke up to a headache after a few hours. "Damn it! Why did I have to drink so much" he cursed.

Mew entered the room on hearing Gulf's voice, "I'll make some coffee for you" and went out again.

Mew was back with two cups of coffee and cookies after some time.

They finished their coffee in silence.

Mew took the cups and plates away once they were done, then returned putting a stool in front of Gulf, who was sitting on the edge of the bed with his face buried in his palms. Mew sat on the stool and put a hand on Gulf's shoulders. Gulf looked up.

"Gulf, when you were drunk, you were talking about being in love and being heartbroken" Gulf's eyes widened. Mew continued, "Did you talk to her clearly? Did you tell her you love her? It could all be a misunderstanding, you tend to avoid expressing your feelings and jump to conclusions about that of others instead of clarifying it" Mew didn't want to talk about Gulf's love life because it pained him a lot, but he also didn't want Gulf to suffer, "please be honest about your feelings Gulf, things will work out for the best sooner or later"

Gulf felt anger rise in him "Like it has turned out well for you Mew? Are you happy with Chris? The last time we argued, you couldn't even stand me being close to a colleague and now you're calmly giving me advice on handling my love life! It is for the best that you ended up with Chris instead of a complicated and hard to handle person like me, isn't it?"

Mew got furious too, "What the hell, Gulf! Chris is only a friend! Do you have any idea what I've been going through since you've been gone? You've always been my world, being away from you has been like a nightmare that I can't wake up from, and you have the audacity to ask if I'm happy with you gone!"

"I've been living through my worst nightmare too Mew, you think it's easy for me? Atleast you have Chris and all the friends to support you, I have no one!" retorted Gulf.

"It was your decision to move away! You wanted to be as far as possible from me... But even if you didn't want to talk to me, you could have talked to Rose or any other friend about your girl troubles!" Mew was irritated and confused, why hadn't Gulf talked to anyone if he was suffering so much. A possible answer to this entered his mind and his anger vanished.

"Gulf, did you not talk about it with anyone because you didn't want the news to reach me that you fell in love with someone else? Did you suffer alone just so you could spare me the pain?" Mew asked with concern.

Gulf had been getting frustrated with Mew's talk and this just did it for him, "Oh my God, Mew! Would you just shut up about this imaginary girl that I'm supposedly in love with?! No, I did not WANT to be away from you, I did not WANT to stop talking to you! Who would want to do that with the person they're in love with?!"

Mew blinked, his brain had stopped working.

-----

A/N: Let me know your thoughts in comments! ❤