12

Catastrophe didn't feel well. She had been lying on her bed, unmoving, for hours - the last time she had tried to get up, her legs had collapsed under her and it took all of her strength to crawl back onto the mattress. She hadn't felt like eating in a few days, and there was no doubt in her mind that she'd be throwing up right now if there was anything in her stomach.

She wasn't sure what was wrong with her, but she knew that if she didn't get help soon, she probably wouldn't last the night. She almost didn't care. The last few weeks had been hell and she wasn't sure how much more she could take.

Suddenly she thought she heard voices outside. Everything sounded like it was coming from really far away, as if she was trapped in a fish bowl and trying to listen through the glass. She thought she heard her name, but she couldn't bring herself to answer. The weakness that permeated her body scared her.

The voices came closer, and Cat felt fear creep in. What if they were here to kill her? She wouldn't be able to put up a fight. Shivers wracked her body and her head was throbbing. She didn't think she could even open her eyes.

Someone shook her shoulder. Surprised by the movement, Cat moaned in protest. The motion made her head feel even more dizzy. Finally, the shaking stopped, but the voices continued; they were closer now, and sounded a little angry. Cat hoped they weren't angry at her.

Then there were more voices. A rush of cool air, as if someone had just run into the room, followed by an upset male voice. Cat didn't try to make out what they were saying. It wasn't really worth her energy at the moment.

She was startled when someone pulled the covers off of her. Can't they see I'm cold? Cat felt her shivering get stronger and let out a whine. She felt some weight on her legs and shoulders, and briefly considered trying to throw it off, but relaxed as someone started stroking her hair.

Even as she felt someone pulling the back of her shirt up and poking at her healing wounds, she didn't flinch away. The gentle motion of someone running their fingers through her hair reminded her of a time long ago, when she was a child. Had Justice or Luna comforted her like this? Or was this an older memory, lost to time? Maybe they don't want to hurt me. This is fine.

Wrong! A stabbing pain suddenly ripped through her upper back, accompanied by tremendous pressure. A squeal of pain erupted from her throat unconsciously as all of her muscles tensed and she tried to move away. Let me go let me go please it hurts...

The intense pressure and pain abated, leaving her gasping. The adrenaline gave her the strength to partly open her eyes, but she couldn't really see anything more than blurry figures standing over her. I wish they'd just get it over with if they're going to kill me. This is torture, she thought.

She could feel slight twinges of pain on her back every few seconds, and it vaguely felt like something wet was running down her back, but she didn't have the strength to do anything about it. Someone grabbed her arm, and a second later she felt a sting. The person didn't let go of her and was fiddling with something.

Moments later, she felt something slightly cold running through her body. She shivered again, unused to the sensation. Is this it? Are they finally done with me? One of the people removed something from her arm, and they stepped back a little, apparently giving her more room. I haven't died yet, so maybe there's hope?

Cat heard several voices talking near her and realized belatedly that the person who had been stroking her hair had stopped. The hand rested gently on her head. She whined slightly, hoping to get their attention, and the hand resumed its movement. Cat sighed and relaxed as the conversation continued.