16

Karlie woke up the next morning with a comfortable weight pressed against her. She opened her eyes and could only see blonde hair, which she quickly brushed away from her face. Taylor was sprawled out on top of her, still fast asleep, with her head tucked under Karlie's chin.

Karlie's heart melted as she looked down at the girl, and she gently ran her fingers through Taylor's hair. It was soft and silky under her hand and she noticed that it had grown quite a bit since the night they saved her. It was starting to curl a little too, and Karlie began to twist it around her fingers, trying to get more curls to hold.

"Could you give it a rest? I'm trying to sleep." Taylor shifted slightly, tugging her head away from Karlie and burrowing deeper in the blankets.

"We've got to get up," Karlie said cautiously. "I'm sorry." The smaller girl groaned and clung to her blanket.

"I just fell asleep like, two hours ago."

"What? Why?"

"Bad dream," Taylor mumbled, almost too quiet for Karlie to hear.

"You don't strike me as the type of person to crawl into someone else's bed because she had a nightmare," Karlie teased. Taylor's head shot up.

"That wasn't the reason! I was cold! You didn't give me a blanket," she said defensively.

""You know what, you're right. How rude of me not to give you a blanket after you screamed at me and ran off while we were talking."

"Oh no, you don't get to blame this on me. You're the reason we're in this mess." She sat up and scooted away from Karlie, still holding a blanket around her shoulders. Karlie sighed.

"Look, I'm sorry it has to be this way, but we need your help. We have no other leads on where Arsyn could be. She's dangerous, Taylor; you know what she's capable of. With the weapon in her hands, who knows what she's plotting? We've got to find them, for everyone's sake. Please."

Taylor got up and paced a little, muttering to herself under her breath while Karlie sat on the bed, patiently waiting. Finally Taylor whirled around and faced her.

"Okay, let's get a few things straight: I'm not taking you to headquarters today, if ever. We're just going to look around some old hangouts of some of the crew. Don't expect me to help you capture anyone right now, either. This is a scouting mission only."

Karlie nodded enthusiastically. "Great! Let's get going, then!"

About a half hour later, they were climbing the stairs that led to the roof of a deserted building. There was little light inside and everything made creaking noises as they passed. Karlie wasn't a fan.

"Remind me what we're doing here?" Karlie whispered.

"Mother Chucker likes to hang out here during the day," Taylor answered. "With any luck, we'll find her. You can ask her a few questions, try to convince her to join our side, whatever. Do your thing." Karlie looked at her oddly.

"That's what we're going to do? Try to convince a dangerous criminal to join us?"

"Well, it's what you did for me."

"That was different. I didn't really give you a choice."

"Which I am still upset about, by the way." They arrived at the top and Taylor motioned to the door. "Go ahead. I'll stay here for now." Karlie stepped out onto the roof and looked around. To her surprise, there was someone up there, sitting on a crate and staring out at the city. She'd half expected Taylor to lead her to a fake location.

The figure shot up and turned around at the sound of Karlie's footsteps. Her eyes narrowed with anger and she snarled, "What are you doing here? How did you find this place?!" Karlie raised her hands placatingly.