28

When Karlie made her way back to the bedroom to check on Taylor, she was surprised to see the blonde sitting up in bed, looking alert despite her exhaustion. She made her way over to the bed and sat beside the girl, close enough for the shoulders to brush. She didn't say anything, figuring it would be best for Taylor to get her thoughts out first. After a few moments of silence, Taylor spoke.

"I don't want to stay here," she said quietly. Karlie felt her heart sink.

"We're leaving tomorrow," she comforted uneasily. Taylor shook her head.

"I don't want to stay here for the rest of the day." She sniffled slightly and turned her head so Karlie couldn't see her face.

"I talked to my parents, and they're apologetic," Karlie promised, pressing closer to her girlfriend and wrapping her arms around her. "Mom especially. She likes you; it was just a shock. And Dad said he'd give you a chance."

Taylor shrugged her off. "I don't want a chance," she hissed, tears that she'd tried so hard to hold back starting to flow down her cheeks. "If someone gives you a chance, they can revoke it at any point. I could say one wrong thing and I'm out." Karlie sighed and tried to hug her again. This time, Taylor didn't shrug her off, but the taller girl could feel how tense she was.

"Do you want to think about it a little?" she asked quietly. "I'm sure you're still a little wound up from...earlier," she avoided mentioning the attack, "and it might be best to rest and get a clear head before you decide." Taylor glared at her and shuffled away, pressing herself against the headboard.

"So you think I'm just being hysterical, then."

"No, that's not what I'm saying," Karlie attempted to soothe her.

"Well, it's exactly what it sounds like." The blonde crossed her arms and scowled. They stared at each other for a minute, neither backing down, when Karlie suddenly let out a giggle.

"What are you laughing for?" Taylor growled.

"I'm sorry," Karlie said, trying to stifle her laugh. "You're just so cute when you're mad." Taylor's jaw dropped, and a furious look crossed her face.

"I am not!" Karlie crawled toward her across the bed, still giggling.

"Yes, you are." She poked her girlfriend's cheek. "Just look at you! You're adorable!"

"I'm warning you, Kloss," Taylor spat, sliding away from the taller girl. Karlie pivoted and followed after her, cornering the blonde against the wall and reaching for her again. Taylor froze when a hand rested on her face, but burst into movement suddenly when Karlie trailed her fingers over her ribs in a tickling motion.

"...Ow," Karlie moaned, rubbing her back. Taylor had kicked her into the opposite bed post.

"Oh my god, I'm sorry," the smaller girl said, moving over to Karlie's side. "I didn't mean to actually hurt you."

"I'm fine," Karlie wheezed dramatically. "I probably cracked a few vertebrae, but who needs those?" Taylor sat back on her heels, tilting her head as if trying to figure out whether the detective was being serious. Karlie used this opportunity to take her by surprise and leaped up suddenly, pinning the smaller girl.

"What are you -" Taylor was cut off by Karlie's lips on hers, passionate yet gentle at the same time. Relaxing, Taylor allowed her eyes to flutter shut as Karlie broke their kiss and moved to her neck, suckling at her pulse point.

"Is this okay?" Karlie said, pausing for a moment. Taylor's shirt had ridden up and the taller girl was gently moving her fingers across the exposed skin, slowly inching higher. Taylor nodded, breathless, as Karlie recaptured her lips and slid her hand under her shirt. In an effort to get closer, Karlie placed one of her knees between the blonde's legs, moving over her slowly as she deepened the kiss.