25

When they entered the house, Karlie was almost surprised that they weren't immediately greeted at the door. She could hear the television and assumed that her mother was actually doing as she promised - giving them some space. She was grateful for it, since Taylor looked practically asleep on her feet, but still felt a little guilty.

Hopefully they'd get to share some quality time tomorrow, as it was the start of the weekend. Karlie had a feeling that she'd be spending a lot of the day apartment hunting, but at least Taylor would get to experience her mom's strong instinct to coddle. It was bound to get annoying and stifling to the blonde, who hadn't really experienced that level of care, but it would probably do her some good.

Karlie gently helped Taylor up the stairs and down the hall toward her old bedroom. "I've got a bathroom attached," she said, leading the way into the room. She showed the smaller girl the bathroom and set out the toiletries she had brought, lining the bottles, tubes, and toothbrushes up on the sink.

"I'll get you some pajamas," she said, turning back to the blonde, who was sitting on the closed toilet seat, slumped over in exhaustion. She closed the door behind her and made her way to the dresser across from her bed and started digging through the drawers. To her relief, there were still a lot of clothes that looked like they'd fit and luckily weren't too embarrassing.

After grabbing a comfortable-looking pair of shorts and plain t-shirt, Karlie walked back over to the door. She couldn't hear any water running, so she knocked and listened for a response. "Taylor?" she called. "Do you want me to just leave the clothes right inside the door? I promise I won't look."

"Uh, Karlie? I don't think I can make it to the door." Karlie facepalmed. Of course. Martha did warn me.

"Okay, hang on." She opened the door and slowly peered around it. Seeing Taylor's position had not changed, she sighed and walked over to the blonde, closing the door behind her. "Alright, what's the plan?" she said, keeping her tone light. Taylor looked up bashfully.

"Could you just...help me a little?" she said, the embarrassment in her voice painfully obvious.

Asking for help probably isn't something she's used to, Karlie thought. "Are we talking shower or bath here?" she asked, trying to appear unbothered. Taylor groaned.

"I just want to lie down."

"Bath it is," Karlie said, moving to start the water. "Do you want bubbles?" The blonde tilted her head, narrowing her eyes in confusion.

"Bubbles?"

"Don't tell me you've never had a bubble bath," Karlie said, dismayed. "Oh, you'll like this." She dug around in the cupboard under the sink and pulled out a bottle of bright pink liquid. "Aha!" She turned and poured it into the water as Taylor watched with bemusement.

The tub finally filled, and Karlie tested the water's temperature. It was perfect. "Okay," she said, "how do you want to do this?" Taylor looked at her, a crease between her eyebrows. "Your clothes," Karlie supplied, and the blonde looked down at herself.

"Oh. Can you help me up?" Karlie hurriedly stepped forward and pulled Taylor to her feet. She steadied the girl as she undressed, resolutely avoiding looking below her shoulders, before helping her step into the water.

Taylor immediately sank down in the bubbles, sighing as the hot water washed away the tension in her muscles. "Are you good?" Karlie asked. "Like, if I go talk to my mom for a few minutes, you won't drown or anything?" Taylor lazily opened her eyes and grinned.

"Yeah, I'll be fine," she said, leaning toward the taller girl and closing her eyes again. Karlie, understanding what she was asking for, decided to tease her by kissing her forehead. Taylor let out a little grumble which turned to a giggle as Karlie moved down, peppering kisses over her cheekbones, nose, and jaw. Finally their lips met for a short moment before the detective stood to leave.