Our Time [1]

Remy was exhausted. He had just finished his double shift at his job as a barista and was on his way to the daycare a few blocks over. Remy had a metrocard, but he preferred not to waste rides when he could walk instead. He wasn't entirely broke or anything, but saving money where he could was important. Remy slid on his headphones and stuck his hands in his faux leather jacket's pockets. He listened to his R&B playlist as he walked alone down the street.

The streets weren't too busy, but Remy had to be conscious of where he walked to avoid bumping into people occasionally. But he was tired, and kept zoning out. He nearly walked into a lamppost. How cliche would that have been if he actually walked into a lamppost? Thank goodness the author is trying not to make this story too incredibly cliche. They're really trying. I promise.

Only three blocks away from his destination, Remy was about to cross the road when he heard a loud commotion. Someone had gotten rear-ended up ahead blocking his way.

"Fantastic." Remy muttered. He'd have to take the long route.

-------

"Thank you so much, Mr. Hart." Remy thanked the director of Mind Palace daycare for keeping Kai a little longer than they were supposed to be kept.

He had walked into the main entrance to be practically tackled by his little Kai. Remy was now holding Kai against his hip, their arms wrapped around Remy's neck and their head pressed to his chest. Remy ruffled Kai's scruffy hair as he opened the door with his free arm. He started walking with his clingy little kiddo to the train station. Kai always had a little bit of an attachment issue.

"Da?" Kai mumbled quietly, still laying their head on Remy's chest.

"What up, buttercup?"

"You... tired?" Kai asked shyly. Remy felt his heart lurch. He thought he had been hiding his fatigue fairly well. Apparently he hadn't been keeping up that front as well as he had thought. Remy brushed Kai's hair out of their face to get a good look at them. They looked much older than they actually were. Kai was only three, but they looked at least five years old. Their multicolored hair might have been a part of why Kai looked so much older. Remy wasn't quite sure, but either way he didn't know how he felt about his baby looking more grown.

"Are you?" Remy asked. Kai shrugged slightly, wincing at the effort it took. Remy kissed their forehead. "I'm not too terribly tired." This seemed to make Kai a little more at ease.

"Is you too tired to watch show before night-night?"

"Of course not! That's our time." Remy assured Kai, who smiled softly.

"Mkay." Kai nodded. A few moments passed before Kai inhaled sharply and tightened their grip on Remy, who noticed almost immediately.

"Head, chest, or legs?" Remy asked, starting to rub Kai's back to help them relax. A little teary eyed, Kai rubbed their face on Remy's shoulder.

"Chest..." Kai answered.

Remy nodded and smiled sadly. One of the first things Kai had learned to say while learning to speak was identifying where the pain was. Remy wasn't sure what was causing them so much pain, but Remy heard that wearing a compression vest was a good way to help ease chest pain in general. It had cost them dearly to get a quality vest, but it was worth it.

"We'll get your vest on once we get on the train." Remy looked down at his wristwatch. "Oh shhh-..." He picked up his pace and held Kai tighter so as to not drop them or let them slip.

"What wrong?" Kai asked, gripping onto their dad tighter.

"The train comes at 4:15. It's 4:07 right now."

Remy took off, sprinting down the street. Kai bounced slightly against his hip trying not to move. People stared a bit, but Remy just shoved his way towards the train station.