Doctor [6]

Thursday had come much quicker than Remy expected. He took off of work that day to be able to take Kai to the doctor. It would hurt his paycheck but it was well worth it. Emile offered to go with him to the doctor, but the last thing Remy wanted was to take Emile away from his work too. So Remy sat almost alone in the waiting room while Kai played with a couple of blocks on the floor.

"Kai Sanders?" a nurse called from the now-opened door. Remy stood up taking Kai's hand and walked with the nurse to a small room with an exam table and a couple of chairs. "If you'll have a seat, Dr. Kati will be with you shortly."

"Okay. Thank you." Remy nodded, taking a seat in a chair by the exam table. The nurse smiled and walked out leaving them alone. Kai took one look at the exam table before crawling onto their dad's leg. "Hun, the doctor's probably going to want you to sit on the table."

"I know.." Kai admitted. Still, they snuggled into Remy's chest.

Remy laughed a little at his clingy little kiddo. He sat there petting their hair until there was a knock at the door. A blonde woman walked into the room with a clipboard and a pen.

"Hi, I'm Dr. Kati."

"Remy Sanders. And this is Kai."

"Hello there, Kai." Kati greeted them with a smile. "Would you mind sitting up on this little bed thingy for me?"

Kai got up timidly and climbed up on the exam table. Kati settled into her seat and set down her clipboard.

"Now Kai, I heard that you sometimes get pain in different places on your body. Is that true?"

Kai nodded, clearly still not comfortable with this new setting and stranger. Both Remy and Kati easily picked up on that, so Kati turned her attention to Remy for the time being.

"Can you tell me a little about their history with joint pain?"

"Sure." Remy nodded. "They've almost always complained about pain but mostly in their chest, legs, and head. Chest is the most common one."

"I see. And are you doing anything to address that?"

"Yes, they sometimes wear a compression vest."

"Does that work?"

"It works better than doing nothing." Remy shrugged. Kati made a couple of notes before turning back to Kai.

"I'm going to ask you to play a little game with me. I'll ask you to try doing nine things, and for every thing you can do earns you one point. Okay?"

"Mkay.."

"First thing is to touch your thumb to your wrist." Kati said, Kai easily complying. "Now try to do it with your other arm."

Remy watched as Kai did numerous other things; holding their pinkies up at more than 90, hyperextending their elbows, and pressing their palms flat on the floor without bending their knees. There was one thing they couldn't do, which was hyperextending their knees.

"Great job, Kai! You got eight points."

"Does that mean I won?" Kai asked sitting back up on the table.

"It means that you get to go on to round two." Kati answered entering something into her charts. Again Remy watched Kati test out certain abilities and features that Kai either did or didn't have. He hadn't realized just how many strange things Kai was able to do without hurting themself. Though a few of the things Kati asked them to do seemed to hurt them a little bit. Kati seemed to start getting an idea for what might be ailing Kai, but she still needed to rule out a couple other possibilities.