Babysitting & Ex-Boyfriends [7]

(Trigger Warning: Heavy argument and swearing)

 Remy spent Saturday morning cleaning up his apartment as much as he could. He couldn't fix the space issue or the creaky floorboards, but he made it look as nice as possible. Kai slept in that morning which turned out to be really helpful for Remy to not have to multitask. By the time ten o'clock rolled around the apartment was the nicest it had ever been and Kai was sitting on the bed with a plate of microwave waffles.

When Emile knocked on the door, Remy felt totally prepared.

"Morning, Remy!"

"Mornin' babes. Come on in." Remy said holding the door open for him. Emile walked in and his smile faltered for a second. Remy had expected that in full honesty. "Sorry if it's a bit tight in here."

"That's alright. I'm just a little.. surprised." Emile admitted.

"Hi Emmy." Kai waved from the bed.

"Hiya, Kai! Whatcha got there?"

"'Bekfast'."

"Looks yummy."

"Want some?" Kai offered, holding up their plate and immediately wincing.

"No thank you." Emile answered quickly. Remy sighed feeling helpless to do anything to ease their pain. Thankfully it would all be over soon.. Hopefully.

"So Em, this is where I keep Kai's medical stuff. There's some cream that Kati recommended to put on the biopsy site every once in a while, so that should probably go on a little after lunch." Remy explained. "Speaking of lunch, there's some microwavable meals in the minifridge. Kai prefers the one with mac 'n cheese but they'll also eat the one with spaghetti. But they can't eat the dessert until they finish the rest of it."

"Got it."

"We use my laptop to watch tv, so if Kai wants to watch something you just need to set it up on the bed."

"Okie dokie."

"I think that's everything, but if you have any questions at all please don't hesitate to text or call."

"I will." Emile smiled. He found it very endearing how Remy rambled on and on about how to take care of his kiddo. Emile was certain things would go smoothly, but he still appreciated being walked through everything.

"Okay." Remy nodded, taking a deep breath and kissing Kai's head. "I'll be back as soon as I can."

"Mkay, Da."

Remy hesitated to leave. Emile assumed that he was nervous about visiting his ex, so he held his arm for a second.

"Don't hesitate to text or call if something happens." He said quietly. Remy nodded and held the strap of his bag. "Alrighty. I promise I'll take great care of Kai."

"I know you will." Remy smiled. He took another deep breath and left. Now that it was just him and Kai, Emile sat on the edge of the bed waiting for them to finish their breakfast. Once Kai finished their waffles they held up the empty paper plate.

"All done."

"Okie dokie, kiddo!" Emile took the plate and set it on top of the microwave, unsure if he should throw it out or not. "What do you want to do now?"

"Play!" Kai clapped.

"Alrighty. Where do you keep your toys?" Emile asked. Kai pointed to the blanket in the corner where a small pile of action figures were laying. "Is this.. It?"

"Mhm." Kai nodded, reaching for the action figures. Emile took a second to get over just how little he was realizing Remy and his child had and handed the toys to Kai. While Kai started playing some sort of game with them in their head, Emile noticed that he recognized the figures.