Four

"Tony Stark, are you out of your goddamn mind."

"What was I supposed to do Pep, someone had to defend the kid, and he sure as hell wasn't about to do it himself."

"That was my job, you should have just let me handle it. God Tony, tomorrow is going to be an absolute nightmare because of this."

"It was going to be a nightmare either way, don't give me all of the credit."

"You are insufferable." Tony smiled at that.

"Yet you love me anyway."

Pepper simply glared at him in response, but she didn't deny it. Tony opened his mouth, ready to call his victory until May interrupted.

"Both of you keep it down and save the theatrics for another day. We have one kid asleep and another kid in the middle of a sensory overload."

A combination of guilt and shame consumed Tony in an instant. Sometimes he forgot how intense Peter's hearing truly was. With the flashes from the cameras paired with the yells of the reporters, it was no wonder Peter's senses became overwhelmed.

Pepper dropped her voice to almost a whisper, a look of regret taking over her face. "Sorry May, we'll be quiet. How's Peter doing?"

May let out a sigh. "Not very well, he's barely said anything since the interview has ended and it's honestly starting to worry me." Tony couldn't help but agree.

"Just give him some time until the overload passes over and I'm sure he'll go back to his chatty self in no time. Would you like me to check on the kid, see if he's alright?"

May considered this for a moment before nodding. "Yeah, I think he would actually like that, just make sure to not talk too loudly. And maybe try and get him to eat a protein bar or something, he didn't have much before the press conference."

Tony raised his good arm in mock salute, "at your service Mrs. Parker." He saw May roll her eyes before turning to walk upstairs.

He opened the bedroom door as silently as he could, but Peter still flinched as he walked in. He made sure to keep his voice as quiet as humanly possible, just how May advised.

"Hey kid, how are you holding up?"

Peter begrudgingly lifted his face from the pillow, his hair flying all over the place. In that moment, he looked a lot younger then he has in a while. "I'm pretty sure I'm dying."

"For some reason I highly doubt that."

Peter groaned, facing the pillow and curling into himself. "I don't feel so good."

The words made Tony pause. That was exactly what Peter said before he was dusted in his arms, all those years ago. Peter didn't seem to make the connection and if he weren't currently in so much pain, he definitely would have noticed Tony's odd reaction. He closed his eyes and forced his breathing to even out.

"I'm sorry to hear that Pete." Tony's voice sounded hoarse even in his own ears, and that was when Peter properly looked up at him.

"Mr. Stark, are you alright?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine- don't worry about me." Time to change the subject. "I brought a protein bar for you to munch on" Peter pulled a face of disgust.

"Do I have to?"

"Depends, when was the last time you've eaten something?"

When there was no response from Peter, Tony decided to take matters into his own hands. He slowly sat down at the edge of the bed, then placed a hand through his hair, combing out the knots with gentle fingers.

"That feels nice" Peter whispered into his thigh. He looked and sounded completely worn out, and Tony didn't think he'd be able to eat anything, let alone sit up from the bed.

"If you're not going to eat then you should at least try and sleep. Don't think I didn't notice your all nighter from last night."

Peter stiffened at that. "Did FRIDAY snitch on me again?"

"She's just following her protocol."

Peter only hummed in response. Tony thought he could definitely get him to sleep if he stepped it up a notch. He slowly moved himself and Peter so they were both properly laying on the bed. Peter didn't seem too happy with the shuffling, but he let out a content sign after his head was resting on Tony's chest. He put his hand back in his hair, lightly brushing locks of curls away from his face.

"Want me to get you anything?"

"No it's okay, it doesn't hurt as much." Tony didn't believe him for a second but he decided not to call him out on his bluff.

"Rest your eyes kiddo, I'll stay by your side until you fall asleep." Peter looked up at him with heavy emotion in his eyes.

"Are you sure?"

Instead of a verbal response, Tony pulled Peter's body closer. They stayed like this for a while, the weight of Peter making him feel a state of calm. He regrets the years where he attempted to push Peter away. Ever since the Blip had been reversed he has initiated more physical contact than he ever thought was possible, with tight hugs and shoulder bumps and even a few kisses on the forehead. He could tell that it sometimes surprised Peter from the way he would tense up in shock, only to relax moments later. One time Peter hugged him first, all stiff and awkward as if he didn't know if it were allowed, and Tony just about cried on the spot.

So Tony continued his hand movements, hoping the steady rhythm could lure him to slumber. After some time, he thought he finally succeeded in getting Peter to fall asleep until he heard a voice speak up, slurred and drowsy.

"Thanks Mr. Stark."

"Pete, you don't ever have to thank me."

"Still, thank you... you didn't have to do all that." Peter didn't need to further explain what he was talking about. He tried to lift his head up but Tony applied light pressure from his fingers. Peter took the hint and rested once more. "Did you mean what you said out there?"

Tony kissed his forehead, and was happy when he didn't feel Peter tense up this time around.

"Every word kiddo."