8:46 + Dedication to Trey

As a young, black, African American girl, I feel that I have some responsibility to shed light upon George Floyd, and the thousands of innocent black people innocently killed.

George Floyd among them.

It was 8 minutes and 46 seconds that Derek Chauvin held his knee to George Floyd's neck.

It was 8 minutes and 46 seconds that George Floyd shouted "I can't breathe" for more than a dozen times.

It was those 8 minutes and 46 seconds that led our voices to cry out in anger, justice, and change.

It was those 8 minutes and 46 seconds that spurred the change we are seeing in America and worldwide as well.

8 minutes and 46 seconds. 

George Floyd is only one of the names that spurred this change. There were others too: Breanna Taylor, Travon Martin, Ahmaud Arbery, and so many more.

How long is it going to take for America to realize this is wrong? This is injustice?

Another death? 

No. We must recognize what is causing this problem and this racial and social divide in America.

Let it be known that there is no easy solution to this. 

We can let our voices be heard by peaceful protest. 

But when peace turns to riots fueled by anger, we achieve nothing. 

Rioters who claim that they are "protesting" for the Black Lives Matter movement or for the tragic death of George Floyd and many others are only using it as a blanket of cover to protect what they are doing.

Rioters do not let our voices be heard, even as some may say that it is garnering the attention of the media, governors, and even the President. Although, it may be true, what will happen the next day when those businesses that you loot and burn down can no longer open and offer a source of opportunity to the people in the community. 

The people that own these businesses, which are often small businesses that support their community, have spent years, and even decades as a source of opportunity for those in their community. Expanding and growing to accommodate more people and more jobs.

How is your voice heard through destruction and violence?

How does it portray the peaceful protesters who are the very opposite of what you claim to be?

If there is one thing I BELIEVE, is that George Floyd's death should not be used for politics. 

Let us instead unite under the one cause we all believe, which is that, George Floyd NEVER should have been lying on that concrete, for 8 minutes and 46 seconds shouting, I cannot breathe.

It is a disgrace, it is tragic, and moreover sad, that thousands and millions of people across the world are now realizing the racial injustice and disparity that African Americans especially sem to have.

This is the time for CHANGE.

I pray that it will come, peacefully, and quickly.

R.I.P George Floyd and the countless other tragic deaths that occurred wrongfully by police brutality.

Before I end, I would like to take one moment to recognize someone that I knew from school.

His name was Trey.

Trey was not someone who I really talked to, but I knew him, and I feel indebted to say a few words about him.

For one, he was always smiling. 

There was never a day where I would see him not smiling. He was funny, down to earth, and just someone you get along with.

We shared only one class together, but that class always had its moments. I would always leave either laughing, smiling, or looking forward to the next class, and even the day in general. All because of Trey.

I regret I did not take the time to know him, or speak to him enough. I regret the moments where I was too shy and quiet whenever I would come across him. I regret that I only had one class with him. I regret that I often did not have a positive outlook on life Trey seem to have. 

I regret a lot of things. 

I remember when I saw him on the news, it was on a very low volume, but there were captions. I remember faintly hearing the name Trey, and seeing a clip of him on our school football team playing. I excitedly went to go watch when I realized that something was wrong.

I was reading the captions and I remember what hit me the most was when the reporter said, "Incredibly sad."

I began to wonder, why would she say that? What did she mean by "Incredibly sad?"

I hurriedly went to go check our school's twitter and it was there I learned he had passed away.

Trey passed on June 11. 

He was mourned and recognized by our school and staff who shared stories about him.

"Always smiling." 

"He was like a brother to me."

"Gone too soon."

Trey was on the football team, an exceptionally good player, he was #17. Our school's football team even dedicated their next season to him.

I pray that Trey is happy and among the angels where he belongs.

R.I.P Trey (6/11/2020)

*