Chapter 2: Little Lies

Present Day

Lalisa held the twenty-four-carat diamond ring on her palm, admiring the beauty of her engagement ring. It was stunning, one of a kind, unique. She knew she probably wouldn't see another like this again if her boyfriend-- no, fiancé, backed down with their engagement.

(Well, okay, she was probably only overthinking, but after the scandal, she wouldn't be surprised if she never sees him again.)

Luke was a nice man. He was decent and gentle and had been friends with Lalisa for years before he took her out on his yacht and asked if he can court her. Two weeks later, they were official. Things with Luke were great, but since he was also a public figure and Lisa's still under the contract of a company that wasn't really happy with public relationships, they learned to keep it private. Their dates were always masked with friendly hangouts, their kisses were always on the cheeks, and when they stood beside each other on public, there was always a good distance between them. For two years, no one suspected a thing. Not even Dispatch.

With the success of her world tour, endorsements, magazine covers, and tons of upcoming projects, it was all going well for Lalisa... until a video of her and Jennie Kim went viral that shook the whole world (or really, it was only probably the internet). But still.

"Did he call you?" Jisoo sat down beside her, holding a cup of ice cream, with a brownie on her other hand and a spoon on her mouth. She was wearing a pink pajama with turtles and rabbits printed on it. Lalisa often wondered how could this woman be the same supermodel who walked during fashion weeks.

"Not yet." Lalisa sighed and slipped the expensive diamond ring back on her finger, feeling the weight of it. "He just got back from Milan."

She watched Jisoo scooped an ice cream and put it all on her mouth. "So? That doesn't mean he shouldn't call you the moment he lands."

Lalisa rolled her eyes.

There was really no need for that. She was never really clingy anyway. And not that she needs to be one because Luke wasn't also like that. Maybe it was just the nature of their relationship, they were both adults and sometimes their schedules were just too tight that even a phone call couldn't fit in. But that didn't mean Luke doesn't love her.

"He'll call later." She replied, not knowing if she reassured Jisoo or herself.

Her friend shrugged, eyes on the screen as they continue to watch Frozen 2.

Lalisa got up after a few seconds, murmuring that she'll just get a beer, earning an eyebrow raised from the brunette. "Yes, I still drink beer, jisoos."

"What? I didn't say anything."

Lalisa huffed and walked towards her kitchen. Her gaze immediately fell on the stale bouquet of flowers on the counter, still untouched ever since it was delivered to her a week ago.

She grabbed a bottle of beer on her refrigerator, uncapped it, and drank almost half of its contents in one gulp. The side of her hip was pressed on the counter as she looked down on the card together with the flowers.

Happy Anniversary, babe.

-Luke.

Lalisa stifled a bitter chuckle. She wasn't very sentimental and so was Luke (although she still appreciates her fiancé's effort to send flowers even when he's on the other side of the world), but there were instances where she couldn't help but be sad that they weren't celebrating important moments in their relationship together or when he sometimes forgot the occasion, like when his flowers arrived two days after their second year anniversary.