Chapter 16: Parks of the Past

"... and keep listening to 98.3 FM for India's hottest radio station – Radio Mirchi!"

Khushi stared out of the darkened windows of Arnav's fancy BMW, deaf to the commentary of the DJ. Her mind preoccupied, she didn't even notice when the radio was turned off.

"Why so quiet birthday girl?" Arnav asked. "As shocking as it sounds, you didn't utter a word at the meeting today. Quite disappointing, considering I drove you all the way to Agra to attend it."

She maintained her silence.

While it was true that the duo spent the whole day in Agra, finalizing a plot for the construction of a new factory, Khushi spent most, if not all, of her day, thinking about the sudden turn of events in her life.

Her mother had stage four cancer. She had refused treatment for the past one year. And her brother agreed to the whole thing without a second thought.

Khushi didn't even understand what the news meant. What was so shocking about it that she couldn't sleep for the past two days, restless?

She knew it wasn't Garima's death wish – she was used to it, courtesy of watching the latter try to end her life multiple times in her childhood.

No, perhaps what bothered her was the fact that it was hidden from  her. Both her mother and brother had once again taken things into their  hands, excluding her completely from the family decisions. She was (once  again) isolated. The only difference was that she wasn't confined to  her room, like she was when she was ten years old.

Khushi vaguely wondered if she was ever going to be old enough to be asked for her opinion. How easily her brother claimed he was trying to protect her? As if he really thought hiding the truth was the solution!

Sure, she yelled at her mother. Sure, she was horrible to her. But did no one see why she did that? Did no one really understand the agony she went through? Did they all really believe she hated her mother?

The answer was simple: yes.

Yes, they thought she was immature. They believed she couldn't be fixed. Why else would they hide such a big thing from her? They were sure she would relish the news of her mother's illness.

Khushi closed her eyes, just the thought of being happy at Garima's condition giving her Goosebumps. How had she missed it? Everything was obvious from the start: her mother suddenly trying to make conversation after fourteen long years, her brother begging her to give a second chance. And not to mention the physical changes: Garima's weight loss, lack of appetite, weakening strength...

Khushi gritted her teeth. She was so proud of her intelligence and yet, at the moment when she needed it the most, it deserted her.

If only she found out sooner, if only she noticed the symptoms  earlier... the odds against her mother may have been a tiny bit lower.

If only.

"Khushi?!"

She turned blankly towards Arnav. "Huh?"

"Your phone is ringing," he said. 

Khushi looked down at her lap and sure enough, her screen was flashing with an incoming call from Lavanya. She declined it without much thought.

"Well, aren't you going to pick it up?" Arnav asked, surprised.

She shook her head.

"Did you take vow of silence today by any chance?"

"Why? Do you want to complain about that too?"

"No, I'm simply curious... I was thinking I should send flowers to whoever made you this calm. Do you want to help me find their address?"