Chapter 37: Attributes of the Strong

"So in the end, Jai called the receptionist back and decided that it wasn't worth his time or mine to argue, a realization which took way too long to happen if you ask me."

Khushi laughed. "Well, now you know what I was worth."

Arnav narrowed his eyes. "I always knew what you were worth. My aim was to make you realize what you were worth."

"Yeah right. I knew my capabilities since day one."

"On the contrary birthday girl, I think I had a significant influence on the outcome of your internship at AR Designs. You can ask your new employers if you have any doubt."

"Why? So that they can give me some sort of rigged version of what you think?" 

"Of course not! If you must know, I gave them a glowing recommendation when they called me for a reference."

"I heard you did."

Arnav stared at her impassive face. "And you think I lied?"

She set down the cup of coffee she was sipping. "I don't think anything."

"Okay, fine. In that case, my offer still stands – come work for me."

Khushi let out a sigh. They were back to where they started.

It was a sunny Tuesday afternoon in Delhi, almost three months since Garima's demise and Khushi was found sitting in a luxurious restaurant, having lunch with Arnav. The topic of their conversation was hard to ignore – he was trying to persuade her to join his company. Again

Truthfully, Khushi had lost track of the number of times Arnav came to visit her after their reconciliation in the park that day amidst a turbulent thunderstorm, if that was what it was even called to begin with. It had taken her weeks to be able to vacate her seat beside the window and simply step out of the house without feeling she was betraying her mother's mere memory, let alone figuring out what place Arnav occupied in her life.

However, that didn't mean they were hostile. To Khushi's surprise, her bond with Arnav had changed remarkably over the past three months. There was no trace of animosity, uncertainty or guilt in between them. There was only peace, a comfort of sorts that she openly welcomed into her life. In a way, he reminded her of the teddy bear gifted to her five-year-old self, which she knew couldn't fix anything, but hugged anyway to keep the nightmares at bay.

It was an unexpected change in her life.

Of course, it came with strings attached (what didn't?). Perhaps the most annoying of which was Arnav's persistent job offers as an Assistant Project Manager in AR Designs.  It was his way of giving her the chance to rebuild her life, but it was a chance she didn't want.

After spending a solid month in solitude, Khushi had finally realized what she needed. So, without much debate, she applied to several companies throughout the city and accepted the first offer she got. Her brother had almost called her decision rash, but she knew it was the right thing to do, because what she needed was a fresh start, not the complicated mess Arnav was offering her.

She was yet to regret her choice.

Her new company, a small upcoming textiles business called RKG Fabrics was practically radiant to accept her and more so to see her work. It was a welcome change from the gloom surrounding her for the past few days.

"I'm serious," Arnav said, leaning forward. "Why are you being so stubborn about this? You are being given a manager position in one of the city's top companies – it's a chance many would kill to have."