Chapter 19: Into an Inferno

Disclaimer: I know nothing about law/ legal proceedings in India. Some creative liberties have been taken for the sake of this story!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"So, what did Dr. Awasti say?" Garima asked.

Khushi looked blankly at her mother.

While it was late into the evening, almost bordering on the time to welcome the warmth of one's bed, Khushi was far from calling it a day. After a violent shout-out with her boss that morning, she had resigned herself to a day of solitude, when Divya Awasti, one of the city's biggest oncologists demanded for a meeting.

Having taken over the responsibility of Garima's treatment, Khushi had no option but to come to Lilavati Hospital.  However, after finishing the short consultation with the doctor, she  was unexpectedly dragged by a persistent nurse to visit her mother –  something she had avoided since the day she stormed at her brother.

It appeared that the world was out to make her miserable. What a surprise.

"Meeti? What's wrong?"

Khushi cleared her throat. "Wrong? Nothing is wrong."

"Then why are you quiet?"

"I'm always quiet... with you anyway."

Garima let out a sigh. "I agree we haven't had much of a conversation in a long time, but that doesn't mean I have forgotten how my daughter is like when she is worried, as opposed to when she isn't."

Khushi was mum. Needless to say, her mother understood her turmoil spot on.

She was worried.

Ever since Arnav declared her selfish, her mind leaped into a rampage. Was she really narrow-minded to the point that she didn't see past winning and losing? Was she immature enough to misunderstand what was simply his way of teaching, to be his show of arrogance? Was she acting egotistical by thinking about her ambitions, and her ambitions only?

Despite spending the whole day mulling over these questions, Khushi had found no answers. No matter what, she just couldn't get herself to accept he was right. Not because she hated his superiority, but because the consequences, should she be wrong, were almost alarming.

She couldn't afford to have her world turned upside down. Not now.

"What is it going to take for you to tell me what's wrong?" Garima asked, patient.

Khushi shrugged. "It's not like you can fix it."

"Try me... I am not as unhelpful as you think I am."

"Well, it's not a problem... it's just this one guy, who happens to be my boss. He thinks I'm selfish and arrogant and everything else that is bad."

Garima looked curiously at her. "And since when do you care about what other people think about you?"

"I don't... it's just him. The way he yelled at me today..."

She trailed off, not being to able to explain the torment eating away at her. Arnav wasn't right... he couldn't be right. She had to prove that if she had any hope of sleeping tonight. 

"I hate when that happens," Garima said, unexpectedly. "You try so hard not pay attention to someone, but that's all you end up doing. It's not a pleasant feeling."

Khushi was astonished. She never expected her mother to understand anything, forget relating to it. "Who did you try to ignore?"

"Your father."