Chapter 5

Gunshots.

Blood.

Explosions.

Death.

The Prison.

Carl.

I run through the woods, dodging trees, and Molly runs beside me. Our breaths come and go unevenly. The herde still follows us, growing larger in size. Closer, too. We are slowing down, but they never change pace. They don't get tired of running like us. They don't need air to breathe like us. They aren't like us.

I've lost track of how long we've been running. An hour? Two? Three? I don't know how long we can continue like this. Not much longer, that's for sure.

We run past a house, and I pull her around it, and then under the porch. The walkers pass quickly, thinking that we are still running, and we stay still for a minute, gasping for air. When we finally do catch our breaths, I look over at Molly. She gives me a nod.

There's nothing in the house. No food, no water, no nothing. Thankfully, we still have our packs. We sip some water, not taking much. As for the food, we each eat a few crackers. The salt burns my lips, but I don't dare waste the water on my lips. I know that we will need it later, and we need to save what little supplies that we have. Then, we pack up and move on.

"Do you think Lizzie, Mika, and Luke are..."She trails off, looking at me. "I don't know, but we can't worry about them. We have to worry about right now. We need to find food, supplies, and shelter" I reply.

She nods. "What about Carl?" I stiffen. "Him, too. As much as it hurts me to say it, we can't worry about him."

She stares at me. "But you will worry about him."

"Let's go." I say.

I know that she's right; I will worry about Carl, no matter what. I need to find him, and I need to find him soon.

We walk, saving our energy. Our hands find each other. I suspect that if anyone were to find us, we'd look like sisters, been through hell.

Molly has a neat braid, the purple shirt, jeans and sneakers from the day of the outbreak. Her gun and knife are strapped to her belt, and her bag rests on her back. She has a dirt smear on one cheek.

My blond hair blows free in the wind. I'm wearing my gray T shirt, black leather jacket with knives in it, jeans, black boots, and my belt with my gun and knives in it. My pack rests on my back.

We take out the occasionally walker, but since there aren't that many, it's very quiet. I suppose that the herde kept going.

"Thank you," Molly whispers. I look at her. "For what?" I ask. "For coming back and getting me. You could've left with Carl and Rick, but instead you came and got me." She replies softly. "I made a promise. I said I would protect you, and I will." I says.

As the sun begins to set, we find an abandoned house. It's in tatters, with shingles from the roof hanging off. We enter the house, and only one walker lurkes inside. We take it down and drag it out quickly, setting up camp for the night.

-

The next day, we continue on. I don't eat or sleep. How can I? I've lost everything that matters most to me, except for Molly.

Last night, I fell asleep, had nightmares, and woke up. I didn't go back to sleep, I just watched out for walkers.

"We should go back. See if anyone is trapped." I say blankly. Molly looks over at me. "Isabelle, they aren't there."

"We can always hope...." I trail off. "Do you really want to go back and see the place that kept us safe, destroyed? Do you really want to see the graves that mark people's death?" She asks, and I sigh.

"You've grown so much." I say, surprising her. "What do you mean?" she asks worriedly.

"When I first met you, you were terrified of walkers and terrified of us. Now, look at you. You're so strong and smart." I reply, and she blushes.

"What happened to your family?" She asks suddenly. "My parents were bit. I put them down. My best friend, Sage, I had to put down after he saved my life outside of Atlanta at the start." I reply. "You?"

"My mom was a nurse. A patient that turned bit her. My dad got me halfway to Woodbury before he was bit. I had to kill him. The Governor found me on the road, a herde behind me." She replies.

"Wow." I say, and she nods.

"What happens if we get taken captive? We're gonna play as sisters, like now, so we need a story." She says.

"Our dad died at the start. He lived in Atlanta. They were divorced. We put own our mom three months in." I reply, and she nods. "It's not like they can go and ask them." She says.

"I miss pizza." I say suddenly. She blinks. "I miss.... spaghetti." She stammers. "I miss hamburgers and ice cream and cotton candy and s'mores." I rattle.

"I miss everything that I haven't eaten since this started." She proclaims, winning the contest. We smile, and then burst out laughing.

We should have moments like these, full of happiness, more often. We are too busy surviving in this world to even try and have fun. I think of her as my younger sister, and I'll stop at nothing to protect her.

A/N

I just finished editing this chapter! Yay!

I'm sorry that I haven't finished or created a Season 5 book yet. I'm slacking, I know.

I'm going my best. I added pictures to every chapter of season 1-now, so go check them out.

Read on! :-*