Chapter 16: The Trial Begins

The Ponyville Courthouse was packed like no other time before it. Ponies from all over Equestria had arrived to watch the momentous occasion that would decide the fate of the country. It was the first time in history that a high school student was acting as a lawyer to someone without the proper law degree and law schooling.

As the crowd gathered, a large television screen was attached to one of the walls of the courthouse so the audience could see the trial live broadcasted. About a thousand ponies managed to sneak their way in to the courtroom and flooded the balconies, crowding everyone.

All of Ocellus's friends attended the trial as well, these including Soaring Virtue, Pizzelle, Rainbow Harmony, Citrine Spark, Patty Peppermint, Berry Bliss, Gallus, Smolder, Yona, and Sandbar. Unfortunately, only Sandbar was allowed to join in with the rest of Ocellus's friends. The other members of the Young 6 had to sit on the segregated Non-Pony Balcony, much to Gallus's chagrin.

As the jury members filed in, so did the conspirators. Cozy Glow, Svengallop, and Suri Polomare came in wearing smug expressions on their faces. Cozy managed to bring her mother Amber Rays to the courtroom as well. Cozy Glow put on a haughty facade, but internally, she was nervous. This was the day that she would either be allowed to legally keep her new slave or lose her.

Silverstream was dragged in wearing a slave collar much to everyone's horror. Amber Rays remarked that she had no regrets.

Suddenly, Berry Bliss called: "Look! There's the judge!"

First Senator Spitfire was presiding over the trial as judge. She flew in wearing her usual Wonderbolt drill instructor look and uniform, "Alright, let's get down to business. Where's the prosecution/defense attorney?"

"Look! There's Ocellus!" Berry Bliss called again.

Sure enough, Ocellus was flying towards the courthouse at record speed. Suri Polomare smiled, "Not to worry. Ocellus is no match for the power of the dark side! Ooh that's good, I should watch more Star Wars movies."

"I don't know. She looks pretty determined to me." Svengallop said nervously.

Ocellus was determined. Everyone could see the fierce determination on Ocellus's face as she marched into the courthouse.

"She may be prepared," Cozy Glow said pridefully, "But she is no match for our buddy Svengallop!"

"Just try to beat our lawyer, pipsqueak," Amber Rays agreed, "Or do you want to back out now?"

Ocellus wanted to argue that she was not a 'pipsqueak', but held her tongue as another piece of Atticus's advice came to her mind: You will only serve to prove the opposition right if you react to their goading. The best thing to do is to hold your tongue and prove yourself the more dignified one.

She looked up and spotted Queen Novo, Terramar, Ocean Flow, and Sky Beak on the balcony of the court. She also spotted Atticus, which surprised her. Didn't he have a case of his own to do? It didn't matter. She was going to make him proud.

"Well?" Amber Rays taunted her.

Ocellus lifted her chin in defiance, causing the whole court to gasp in awe and shock. From his position up on the balcony, Atticus gave her an approving nod.

Cozy Glow looked embarrassed and said quickly, "You shouldn't be in awe of her! Stop those gasps right now!"

"Actually, they should," someone said.