Unspoken chaos in spoken peace

Vaughn was so happy to be going on a trip with Doss for the first time in years together. She was too excited to wait. She ran outside with the bag in hands. She gasped and lost her grasp. They landed on her feet but her pain was greater than her feet. She saw her husband carrying another woman and child in his arms. It was Perry. The ruiner of everything, hoping it wouldn't be her marriage next.

Perry and Vaughn made eye contact. She stopped her tears and said a stiff hello. 

"Long time no see, Perry. You didn't call... A call would've been nice."

"I really didn't have the time to think. I just needed someone, and thought of you."

"But you're in my husband's arms, not mine."

"Well, you see-" Perry tried to explain.

"V, don't try to make her explain. This isn't the time. Can't you see Perry is in pain?" Doss defended her.

Vaughn didn't have anything to say and just nodded. Doss went pass the dropped bags and stepped into the house. Her child trailed behind them. On her way in, Vaughn caught a slight smile crossing Perry's lips. Perry quickly turns back into tears being set down.

"I'm sorry to just drop in like this, but-"

"You mean pounce your way into our lives again...?" Vaughn interrupted.

"Mark dropped me like a rag doll. Tired of me and tired of my baby girl. He packed my bags gave me money and told me to go anywhere but there. You guys are the only ones who really cared about me. I thought you would be thrilled.  Apparently, not." Perry cried in her hands.

The girl tried to comfort her mother in the best way she could. She was so clingy to her. Didn't mutter a word.

"Surely, we aren't the only ones you have, you were always so friendly."

"Vaughn...let Perry speak. She must be heartbroken." Doss spoke.

"I am. He was the only man I truly loved." She fell into Doss's chest.

Vaughn rolled her eyes. The child sad there seeing her mother with strange people she didn't remember. She tried to do the same to her mother. She didn't reciprocate. Vaughn caught on and tried to give her attention. So much fear crossed her face when Vaughn got closer. The only word she said was mommy when she got closer to her.

Vaughn still tried to get her. She squirmed in her arms. She seemed as sad as her mother.

Doss suggested that she stayed there. Perry was thrilled and said she would fix them a fantastic dinner. Vaughn held the little girl closer. Then she bit her.

"What's wrong with her? She bit me."

"I'm not sure. She's usually so friendly." Perry told her.

A smile appeared when she got away and ran into Doss's arms. She was a completely different child with him. Vaughn's jealously came in more ways than one.

That night became many nights of them having dinner together. Perry faded into their lives again.  A family seemed to form, where Vaughn couldn't fit. Her main spot was on the sidelines while Perry tried to take her husband away from her.

The little girl watched Vaughn closely, never letting her get close. Making sure that her mommy was always happy, no matter the expense. Vaughn too watched her closely, never ever saying a word to each other. Them both knowing that someone wouldn't quite fit. Someone would have to leave the picture.