Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 5

Sept. 8, 1991 - Sunday afternoon

Harry and Draco had spent the morning exploring the castle and avoiding Filch and Mrs. Norris. At noon, they had lunch in the Slytherin common room with their study group so Harry could catch up with the classes he'd missed. After the study group was finished, Harry made his way to Snape's office to help him with his potion brewing.

The door to Snape's office was open, but when Harry peeked in he didn't see his professor. "Professor Snape?" Harry called out.

"In the classroom, Mr. Potter!" came Snape's voice somewhat muffled.

Following the voice, Harry spied the door near Snape's desk that was open. He walked over to it, looked through, and saw the Potions classroom. He still didn't see his teacher, though.

"Sir?"

"In here, Mr. Potter," came Snape's impatient voice a touch louder.

Harry let out a startled yelp and Snape stepped forth from the ingredients supply room. He spoke in a more calm tone, "My apologies, Mr. Potter. It was not my intention to startle you."

"I'm okay, sir," Harry smiled weakly.

Snape's left eyebrow rose incrementally. "Indeed. Come into the ingredients cabinet, Mr. Potter. I need your assistance as I gather what we will need for today's potions."

Harry followed his teacher and was amazed by the tall, walk-in cabinet. Shelves of ingredients, all alphabetised, rose high above him. A ladder allowed one to reach the taller shelves.

Phials, jars, bottles, crates, even barrels all held a wide variety of ingredients. So many scents mixed together that it was rather pleasant, although stuffy.

Snape handed Harry a basket to hold and then he began quickly removing ingredients from the shelves. He was careful in placing them into the basket so none of the ingredients in glass broke causing ingredients to mix together.

Finally, he held up a jar that held green fluid with wrinkled objects that looked oddly like squashed human ears.

"Pickled shrivelfigs, Mr. Potter. Rather slippery as Mr. Malfoy unfortunately discovered." He gave Harry a slight smile and Harry grinned back, recalling that it was when Draco slipped on a shrivelfig that they had met in the infirmary and become friends.

Finally moving back into the classroom, Snape directed Harry over to a cauldron and had him set out the ingredients. "You brought your Potions kit and stirrers?"

Harry smiled and went over to his book bag that he'd placed on a desk. He took out his brand new textbook, the kit and the stirrers. Snape began looking through the Potions kit.

"Hmm. No. I am afraid these knives won't do," he mused, as though to himself. "That is the problem with these inexpensive kits. They are never quite up to snuff." He held out his hand. "Accio knife set!" An object that appeared to be soft leather rolled up like a scroll zoomed across the room and into Snape's hand. Snape placed the leather scroll in front of Harry. "Open it, Mr. Potter."

Harry untied a short leather tie that was holding the scroll together and then he unfurled it. Neatly placed in small pockets were a variety of knives, awls, and other sharp tools used to prepare ingredients.

"Wow!" Harry's eyes gleamed as much as the instruments that sparkled in the torchlight.

"Silver, nickel, copper, bronze, and steel. One of the finest sets of knives for a Potioneer." A glint of a smile lit up Snape's eyes. "I hope you appreciate the gift, Mr. Potter."

Snape had debated the wisdom of purchasing the set of tools for Harry. Showing favouritism to his Snakes was one thing; appearing to show favouritism towards one student could mean trouble. However, whilst in the Apothecary on Saturday he had turned from his business with the owner and watched Harry as he walked around the shop investigating everything. Such wide-eyed wonder Snape had not seen from any of his students in a very long time. He watched as Harry read labels, sniffed dried herbs, and Snape watched closely as the boy's green eyes catalogued, carefully, everything he saw.