Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 7

19 Sept 1991 - Hermione’s Birthday

Hermione woke warily, as she had since Extra Strength Itching Powder had been jinxed all over her that morning she wound up in the Infirmary scratching herself nearly to death. Whether no one else believed it so she did. Had it not been for her screams her stupid roommates would have stayed in the corner of the dorm afraid of her AFTER they had giggled like idiots. Lavender Brown and Parvati Patil still made faces at her, whispered insults whenever they could, but they appeared to be leaving her alone. She was alone in their dorm and likely a few minutes late for her morning shower.

Still, Hermione looked around the dorm, and lifted her wand. “Magia Revelare,” she whispered. The charm had been taught to her by Professor Flitwick to help her discover hidden, magical traps. Breathing a sigh of relief when none showed she started to throw her duvet off… and froze when her toes felt something.

Looking to the end of the bed there were five gaily wrapped packages. Once more she pointed her wand which caused a message in smoky letters to rise above the packages.

“Happy Birthday, Hermione!” echoed the exuberant, combined voices of the twins Weasley. “From Gred, Forge, Nev, Draco and Harry. Open these up and then meet us for breakfast at the Gryffindor table where only the cool kids eat!”

Hermione chuckled, placed her wand on the bedside table, and attacked the first gift. Fred and George’s gifts were somewhat of a mystery until she realised that they were parts of one object; a miniature Foe Glass upon a pedestal that allowed it to swivel. Neville had given her seeds for an Elf Rose and instructions for when to plant her seeds. Draco’s gift was a beautiful quill that his card said was made from one of the fuzzy pin-feathers of a Snow Peacock. The nib was highly polished pewter. Harry’s gift complemented Draco’s; a rainbow of coloured inks and a scroll of white parchment.

Hermione hadn’t received any books for her birthday but that was all right. She loved books but that wasn’t always what she wanted.

She rushed through her shower, dressed quickly, and practically ran down from Gryffindor Tower to the Great Hall to meet her friends. Before she reached the all ready noisy Great Hall she plowed right into her Potions Teacher. She feared the worst but as she glanced upward she found his hand stretched out to help her to her feet. With that assistance came the shadow of a smile in his dark eyes. The smile did not touch his face.

Snape helped the witch to her feet. She brushed the dust from her robes until he swept his wand over her. “Tut, Miss Granger. You are a witch.”

“Sorry, Professor. You’re right. I forget a lot,” she smiled briefly. “I’m sorry, too, for running into you. It’s just it’s my birthday and I didn’t want to miss my friends at breakfast.”

Snape nodded and ushered her into the Great Hall. “So I am informed, Miss Granger. Mr. Potter and Mr. Malfoy came to me before breakfast to ask for permission to sit at Gryffindor’s table. You will find them there.”

Snape was rewarded with a beam of a smile that was sunshine itself. His smile, confined to his gaze, drifted across his lips as the young girl spotted her friends and ran to go sit with them. She did not see the pleasant expression but Harry did. He smiled at his Head of House, and Snape found that pesky warmth filling his heart.

--That Evening--

Professor Snape did take over Hermione Granger’s detention from Professor McGonagall, yet he included Draco and Harry in it as well. Both knew the detention would be part of their Hogwarts Permanent Record but both boys had insisted upon being there when the choice was given.

The evening began with a 6 inch essay for Hermione that detailed her doing spells that she was not prepared for and what the consequences were. Snape had several books for her to reference and she was quickly finished with the essay and was able to join her two friends who were busy brewing something fragrant and mysterious.