Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 15

2 Oct 1991, Wednesday

The entire student body of Hogwarts and its staff had assembled out on the Quidditch pitch and the in the stands to watch the tryouts for Hogwarts first Quidditch Little League. Lucius Malfoy, one time reluctant Death Eater and now the new coach, was tall. He stood out further in a very Malfoy modified Slytherin Quidditch uniform of dove grey wool knee-trousers, green hose, a white silk shirt, a green quilted over-vest and matching, heavy draping robes. Snape had to snort at the fashion plate the vain wizard made amongst the group of first years.

Lucius was assisted by the Slytherin prefects Tara Anglaise and Gordon Billock. They corralled the excited boys and girls that wanted to try out, which was nearly all of them, and took down their names.

"Oh my great Aunt Matilda's crossed eyes!" cursed Minerva who was seated next to Snape. "He bought new brooms?" A group of third year Slytherins was parading in a procession of brand new brooms for the little league teams.

Snape shrugged. "I would expect no less of Lucius. He has always been one to make certain all bases were covered." He squinted down at his third years. "As I thought. Those brooms appear to be the latest junior Quidditch brooms."

"Indeed," agreed Minerva as she crossed her arms over her chest. "At least no one team will have an unfair advantage."

"D-d-do my eyes d-d-decieve me?" stuttered Quirrell behind them. "Are the g-g-goals sh-sh-shorter?"

Snape's nose wrinkled at the horrid smell of garlic that wafted towards him as the DADA instructor leaned over he and Minerva. "I suspect that as it is a little league," Snape educated with boredom laced through his voice, "everything will be scaled down appropriately."

Down on the pitch Prefect Billock shouted for all the kids to be quiet. He turned to Lucius. "Okay, sir. Tara and I chose Fred and George Weasley for the assistant coaches." Prefects Anglaise and Billock glanced at the two grinning twins. Lucius gave the twins an appraising glare, then nodded, waving his hand dismissively. "Quite all right, Prefect Billock.

Lucius then addressed the first years, remarking to himself, was I ever that short?  “I and my assistants will select two teams from the best players. Each team will be representative of all the Houses,” three matching frowns were directed his way from three Gryffindors. Lucius’ gaze narrowed, especially at the three boys. “This is a great honour, and one that I expect everyone to wear as their best behaviour.” When he was finished, he instructed, "Grab a broom and just fly in this round."

Draco grabbed Harry's hand and they ran over to the stack of new brooms. They each grabbed one and were the first two in the air.

Up in the stands Minerva elbowed Snape and he glowered at her. He was trying not to watch Harry fly at the same time as he was keeping an eye on the boy.

"He flies well, Severus," commented the Deputy Headmistress.

"He is a menace," ground out Snape as Harry executed a perfect loop de loop.

"That's talent you'll want to encourage," Minerva continued. Snape wished that the older woman would shut her mouth. He was finding these trials to be too uncomfortable to watch. "I think Harry might be better than James. What do you think, Severus?"

"Potter was a bloody arrogant daredevil that was too busy trying to impress all the girls in the stands rather than trying to play the game!" he snapped. Grimly he recalled one time during a Ravenclaw/Gryffindor match that the blowhard was attempting to get Lily's attention. The idiot had been struck by a bludger. It had earned him three days in the Infirmary and not once had Lily even given a thought to the Marauder.