Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 9

23 Sept 1991 - Monday

Albus Dumbledore's first (unpleasant) surprise arrived at breakfast on Monday morning. A great eagle owl, the beast owned by Lucius Malfoy, dropped a letter off from Narcissa to her son, and a second letter from Lucius. The owl continued to soar up to the staff table. A very official parchment scroll was unceremoniously dropped into the Headmaster's oatmeal. The great owl then perched, quite imperiously, upon the back of Dumbledore's chair. With a loud screech that deafened all chatter in the Great Hall, the bird shook out its feathers, and contentedly tucked its head under its wing and appeared to fall right to sleep.

The Headmaster refused to read the scroll at breakfast, but disturbed by the owl, his appetite was ruined, and so he retreated to his office.

Draco, meanwhile, was staring in apprehension at the two letters from his parents. They were in red envelopes.

"Those are Howlers," explained Teddy Nott nervously.

Tara leaned over and patted Draco's arm. "It's best to get it over with quickly, Draco." She gave him a sympathetic look.

Draco tapped the first one from his father and it jumped up into the air in front of his face. His father's voice, heavy and full of disapproval, came from the Howler.

"Three detentions, Draco? The term has hardly begun! Do you realise the shame you are bringing down not only upon yourself but the Family name? Your temper will be the death of you, Dragon, if you don't start shaping up, and now! Recall what I told you when you left for school. You are eleven years old. Do not lead me to believe that you are five or I shall come to Hogwarts and remind you, clearly, just how I punished you at five."

The Howler exploded and Draco, his cheeks red, his mouth gaping, sat stiffly and nearly in shock.

Tara gave the little boy a small pat on the back. A second hand, Harry's, joined Tara's in the comfort. "Come on, now. Finish the second one," urged the prefect gently.

Draco swallowed. He stared at the second red envelope. Harry leaned over. "Just open it, Draco. It can't be any worse than the first."

Draco cast Harry a quick stricken look before he tapped the Howler that was from his mother. It flew up, opened, and also began to speak but with Narcissa's voice.

"Draco. I am so terribly disappointed in you." Her voice was soft, but it was so sad that Draco let out a sniffle. "Your father and I will be coming this weekend to visit. Do behave. I love you, dear." The Howler burst into confetti and Draco suddenly dropped his head onto his arms.

Tara continued to pat his back while Harry looked on with sympathy.

"Mr. Malfoy," came a soft, velvet voice behind the children. Snape had appeared silently behind them. Draco lifted his head, doing his best to keep anyone near from seeing his tears. "Come with me."

As the boy got up, Snape felt a hesitant touch to his arm. Glancing towards the right of Draco he could see Harry looking up worriedly. The boy's green eyes were pleading with him not to punish his upset friend any further. "I merely require your friend's assistance, Mr. Potter. You will see him in your first class."

Harry nodded with relief. He then watched as Snape, with Draco in front of him, took the boy out of the Great Hall.

Once out of the Great Hall, Snape directed the boy to walk beside him. He shortened his pace so Draco would be able to keep up. Draco did not say anything, but Snape could still hear faint sniffles and saw the child wiping at his eyes.

"I believe I mentioned to you that there is something I can teach you to help you better control your temper, Mr. Malfoy?"

"Yes, sir. You did," answered the very sad, little voice.

Snape put his hand gently on the boy's shoulder. "It is a mental discipline called Occlumency that I think would benefit Mr. Potter as well. Would you be averse to sharing the time with him in learning this skill?"

Draco shook his head first, then replied vocally, "No, sir. I wouldn't mind learning Occul... Occumen..." his voice faded.

"Occ-lu-men-cy," Snape pronounced the word for the boy. "I shall send you and Mr. Potter a schedule." They walked in silence for a few more minutes and at one point, Snape conjured a handkerchief for Draco. They went a bit more and then the Head of Slytherin House stopped. "Draco." Draco turned to face his teacher and Snape was pleased to see that the crying had stopped. "Your father will be proud of you if you learn this."

Draco managed a small smile. "I know he will, sir. I'm just... well... will Harry's family be proud of him, too?"

Snape's lips thinned at the thought of the Dursleys. "Harry's relatives unfortunately do not realise the gift they have in their nephew. I believe it is up to us to be proud of Harry, Mr. Malfoy."

Draco's smile widened as he nodded. "Yes, sir. I believe so, too."

Placing his hands on the boy's shoulders, he turned Draco around to face the classroom of his first class of the day. Feeling much better, Draco gave his teacher a wave goodbye and walked into the classroom where he saw Hermione and Harry waiting for him. It wasn’t until much later that he wondered what path he and his Head of House had taken to the classroom that allowed Harry and Hermione to get to it first!

| 944 words |