18. Face-2-Face

Home, let me come home.
Home is wherever I'm with you.

"We can make it to Cloud Recesses by noon tomorrow if we leave now."

Ah Yuan was right.

The four of them travel all night long. The juniors insist that Ah Xian ride Little Apple, but he refuses to. He makes Jingyi ride it instead, despite Jingyi's lies that he would rather walk.

At first, Jin Ling continues to irritate everyone with the prospect of "just riding their swords"—until Ah Xian gives him a good thwack over the head for being an idiot, reminding him that someone doesn't have a sword handy. (Jin Ling claims as pridefully as he can that he will just be following the three of them to Cloud Recesses, to make sure Uncle Xian is settled. As if he isn't scared shitless of his uncle's wrath.)

When the four of them finally reach Cloud Recesses, it is just past the break of dawn.

Ah Xian's grip tightens on his flute. He feels nauseous in ways he can't describe.

Two guards stand at the doorway of Cloud Recesses. They blink away sleep and stand tall when they notice three junior cultivators, one dark-robed man and a donkey clop to a stop in front of them. Jingyi hops off Little Apple's back.

"State your business," one of guards says.

The other guard frowns when he recognises Jingyi and Ah Yuan. His expression transforms, eyebrows raising, "Halt—Lan Jingyi and Lan Sizhui? Lan Clan Junior cultivators."

Ah Yuan and Jingyi drop into bows. The two guards bow back.

"Forgive our absence," Ah Yuan says.

The guards turn to Ah Xian, "Who is this? State your business."

Ah Xian grins slyly.

Jin Ling scoffs, drawing all the attention, "I'm sorry—" he steps forward. "Did you just say who is this? Do you not know the Yiling Patriarch when you see him?"

The guard's eyes widen, "The Yiling Patriarch? Wei Wuxian?"

Jin Ling juts out his chin, "That's right."

"Alert Chief Cultivator Hanguang Jun."

Ah Xian's stomach tightens.

Alert Chief Cultivator Hanguang Jun.

Alert Lan Zhan.

One of the guards hurries into Cloud Recesses. The other turns back to the four visitors, expressionless again. "You may enter."

•••

Wei Wuxian hadn't thought about what he was going to do or say when he got to Cloud Recesses. To be honest, he doesn't even know what he's doing here. All he wants is to see Lan Zhan, to make sure he's okay... but, now... it turns out Lan Zhan is looking for him too.

Lan Zhan.

Why is Lan Zhan looking for him?