Chapter Eight

(~Previously: Xelqua's mortal name was Grian.)

Mumbo was shocked to learn this information. Grian was a watcher. He had no idea. Sure Grian's abilities kind of matched the watchers with the whole purple eyes and seeing in the dark. But he would have never guessed that he was a watcher.

He must have been standing there for a long time since Iris came to check on him.

"Is everything alright mortal?" She asked.

Mumbo looked at her in silence for a moment as this raised suspicion.

"Did you find anything of use?" She asked once more.

"Well... Yes I found several clues" He admitted.

"Any that help you finding Xelqua?" She was very interested now and Mumbo couldn't avoid telling the truth.

Mumbo hesitated, but showed her the notes that Xelqua had written.

Iris looked at them. "I'm sorry, but we cannot read your kinds language even though we speak it."

Mumbo blinked. "You can't??" He asked in confusion.

"No we have taught ourselves to speak your mortal language, however we read and write in Galactic and Xelqua used to translate." She explained while looking at the noted before looking back at Mumbo.

"Did you find out if he has a mortal name?" She pushed him, wanting to know what secrets Xelqua had kept from them before he ran away.

"I think so..." Mumbo was unsure about this.

"What is his mortal name then?" She asked.

"Grian." Mumbo responded.

"Grian? Your winged friend that is dying??" She responded.

"He's what?!?" Mumbo yelled in shock and ran back to Grian.

Thorium looked over. "Seems like your friend won't live much longer." He told Mumbo as he entered the room.

Grian had collapsed now onto the floor even more as he was laying on his side at this point.

"What is doing this to him? How do we help?" Mumbo asked while kneeling by Grian's side.

"Like I have said before it is our magic that is killing him." Thorium repeated. "You should probably say goodbye to him."

"I only just met him. I won't say goodbye now... The clues.." Mumbo tried to protest.

Thorium sighed and took off his mask, looking at Mumbo. "I know. But there is nothing we can do for your friend without Xelqua." He told him.

Mumbo got frustrated at this point while trying to hold back his tears. "Grian is Xelqua!!"

Thorium was a bit shocked as Iris entered the room now. "Put the mask on your friend, mortal." She instructed.

Mumbo hesitantly looked at Grian for a moment. He knew this wasn't what Grian wanted but it was the only way to save him. Without his magic Grian wasn't immortal.

Grian didn't try to stop Mumbo being too weak to even try as Mumbo put the mask on him.

Once upon Grian's face the symbol on the mask glowed before a bunch of energy exploded from it throughout the entire room.

Mumbo was amazed at the explosion of energy.

Grian then got up and stretched his wings out, they were much bigger now and black and dark purple as he now had a purple robe on along with the mask.

"Grian...?" Mumbo asked.

Grian looked at Mumbo and smiled a bit. "Yes Mumbo?"

Mumbo blushed. "So it was you huh..."

Grian rubbed the back of his neck. "Are you mad?"

"Why would I be?"

Grian blushed. "I am not who I said I was?"

"I am not mad" Mumbo told him.

He smiled a bit before jumping a bit.

"Your lover may not be mad but we are furious with you, Xelqua." Thorium spoke up.

End of chapter eight! It's not as long as the last three have been but things have been pretty informative intensive.

See ya in the next one!
-Ary

(Word Count: 632 words)