Chapter 18

It was the night of the new moon. Every wolf and witch was on the look out for the Black Curse coven. We will be putting a stop to this once and for all. It was shortly after sundown when the Blood lusted vampires charged at us from the woods. I slipped deep into my instincts as I killed them. I kept my senses open, trying to get the scent of something, but I couldn't pin point anything. There was too much blood and magic being used to get anything. I lost sight of Cassius and Maddox in the chaos. It was just a flood of vampires, trying to keep us back. It told me where the witches were. 

As I killed them, I made my way through them, determined to put a stop to this after all. There was no need for this senseless slaughter. The vampires didn't deserve to be infected and used, the witches didn't need to sacrifice themselves by combating against black magic, and we didn't need our blood spilled all because some women were jealous. I managed to get passed the vampires and I ran in the direction where they had come from. I found the witches in a clearing. They turned their attention to me, and began to try to blast me with their magic. I ducked and dodged their magic. I was within reach, claws ready to slice one of them. I had leaped into the air, about to deliver a lethal blow, when everything froze. None of us could move, the sound of fighting behind me stopping instantly. The sky began to glow silver. Suddenly the Moon Goddess appeared before all of us. 

"Enough of this," she said, before waving her hands. Everyone was then gathered in the clearing. I and the Black Curse coven staying where we were, but the others were separated in groups by species. She went over to the Blood Lusted vampires. She waved a hand over them, "Rest in peace my children. I am sorry I was unable to prevent your suffering." They then disappeared. She turned to the rest of us. "Let me show you the outcome of this war if you choose to continue with it." 

She showed a projection in the sky. It was of me with the Black Curse coven. Instead of stopping my blow from happening, my claws would have struck home. I would then turn to the next and snap her neck, before ripping out another's heart. A silver blade would then find itself embedded in my heart. I would drop dead in the center of their circle. Cassius and Maddox would then collapse dead, in the middle of the combat. The witches would go through with the spell, turning every werewolf into a normal wolf. Then all witches would loose their ability to use magic because the balance would be gone. Vampires then would get revenge for the use of so many of their kind, resulting in the world finding out of our existence and a war between the humans and vampires would break out. 

"It will all start a chain of events that you do not want to happen," the Goddess said to us. "Here is what will happen if you stop this fighting." 

The projection changed to how we are now. I would collide with the witch I was going to strike, but my claws are retracted, and I simply land on her. I get up, and make way to my mates, keeping an eye on them. We all go home to our families and bury those we've already lost. From there the balance is kept, and we continue on with life like normal. Except for the Black Curse coven. The Goddess punishes them, taking away their magic. 

"It is your choice," she told us. "I can not make that choice for you." She then gestured to me and the witches, "It is up to them, and their actions." If I kill the witch it will start the chain of events. I couldn't risk that happening. I wanted a future with my mates. I wanted to walk across the stage at my college graduation with my mates and my parents cheering for me. I wanted to have pups and be happy. The witches were weighing the options. 

Suddenly the Goddess was gone and I was flying at the witch. I retracted my claws and hit the witch, landing on her with a groan. I got to my feet and made my way to my mates. I made my choice, and that was to stop this senselessness. Both light witches and werewolves watched the Black Curse coven closely. If they went on with the spell, then it was all for nothing. 

Suddenly a blast of power from the sky struck them, taking away their ability to use magic. It was finally over. I turned to Cassius and Maddox and launched myself into their opened arms. Everyone began to cheer. It was finally over and we could rest easy. The light witches arrested the Black Curse Coven members with the intent to turn them over to the vampires. 

"It's over," Cassius said, with a sigh of relief. Maddox nodded, "Now we can focus on building up the strength of our pack, and on us." "We could really use a couple of days for self care," I told them. I then looked at our blood covered hands. It could have been a lot worse. Had I given that witch a killing blow, I would have gotten them both killed. They hugged me tightly as my eyes filled with tears. "We're alive," Cassius said to me. "It's okay," Maddox said. 

Are we okay though? We have all spilled so much blood since we've met. There was no erasing that. We killed so many and we lost so many. How do you become okay after something like that? I looked at the witches responsible for everything. I felt that taking away their magic was to gentle a punishment, and I was eager to see what the vampires were going to do to them. It's funny how jealousy could cause so many problems for so many people. The Goddess loves us all equally. She could never pick one over the other. It's why she gave us the choice to either continue and face the consequences, or give us the choice to live. 

"Let's go home," Maddox said as he pulled on mine and Cassius' hands. Home sounded good right about now. As I looked over my mates, I knew things would be okay. I just had to give it time.