5- I Did It

어릴 적 꿈이 내 눈앞에 ~ Agust D

(My childhood dreams are in front of my eyes) 

The concert starts in less than an hour. The makeup team are desperately trying to cover the bags under my eyes since I haven't got much sleep last night. 

Dance practice lasted way longer than it usually does. I had to perfect every single move. It doesn't help that I had to change my line up last minute. 

Tonight's show was extra important to me. It's at the venue my original debut was to take place. This place holds bitter sweet memories. I had to prove to myself that I belong on that stage. 

The stylists shove a shiny outfit into my arms and usher me to the dressing room to put it on. I never were the type of person to dress up in dramatic outfits and overly expensive shoes. I mean the amount of hot chocolates I could've bought with the price of these black stilettos is insane. 

I didn't mind playing the part though, I was told over and over that it's part of being an Idol. The outfits compliment my best features atleast, so it's not the end of the world. 

After pulling on my skin tight skirt and crop top with a struggle, I'm pulled into a chair for my hair. The hair stylist manipulates my hair to her liking before my manager encourages me to start with my vocal exercises. 

Tonight has to be my best performance yet. 

======================================

My final song finishes and I stare at the audience with a genuine smile on my face. Seeing my fans sing the last lines of my song, reassures me that this is where I am supposed to be. 

I did it. I sang my heart out and smashed the choreography. I feel like the same girl I was a few years ago that was supposed to debut on this very stage.

A feeling of hope washes over me. Maybe I can do this. Maybe I can be the person I always wanted to be, without anything holding me back. 

I imagine myself seeing my family in the crowd. My father trying to sing along, but failing to get the words right. My mother wiping away her tears of joy, softly laughing at his antics. I imagine seeing their eyes filling with pride. Pride for their daughter who actually made it. 

But as usual, they're not here. 

I close off the concert with a thank you to the audience and wish them a safe trip home.

Backstage, my manager runs up to me, throwing her arms around my neck. She pulls me in for the mother of all hugs. 

"I'm so fricking proud of you Leigh! That was your best performance yet! We showed those bitches what Yoon Leigh is made of!," she screamed into my ear. 

I hugged her with even more force to match her enthusiasm. She is right. I made a statement tonight. Goodluck in trying to bring me down now, world. 

I rush to my dressing room to change into casual wear so that Miyeon and I can celebrate properly. 

I mentally thank the venue for having a dressing room with a shower. I scrub off all the sweat I produced while performing and let the hot water soothe my muscles for a few minutes.

Once I'm clean and smell like strawberry body wash I hop out of the shower and put on a plain black dress with matching converse. I throw my hair up in a messy bun as soon as it is dry and put on some light make up.

I heard a knock on my door. It's probably Miyeon checking to see how far I am.

"I'll be out in a minute! Just need to get my stuff!" I say loud enough so she could hear me through the closed door.

A few moments later there is another knock on the door. This one was way more aggressive. I slightly panic, afraid that something happened. 

I quickly open the door, looking around. No one. I shrug it off. It's probably someone trying to prank me or something. 

I'm about to close the door when I notice something on the floor. It's a black envelope with red rimming the edges. I look left and right once more to see if no one is around before picking it up and closing the door. 

My name was printed onto the front of the envelope with big red letters. A fan probably got backstage and dropped it off. I place it on my dresser to read later. 

I finish up in the dressing room and I am soon ready to hit the city with my manager. She may be 13 years older than me, but she is my best friend. My only friend. I don't know what I'd do without her to be honest.

As if she could read my mind, the short woman burst through the door. She looked stunning. One could swear she's still 20 years old. 

"You ready to head out?" she asked with excitement. We don't usually go out after concerts, but since this is a personal accomplishment for the both of us, we said fuck it.

"Yea, just need to clean up the dresser and we can go," I said.

"You're taking over the maid's work Light," she said with a raised eyebrow.

I give her a 'whatever' look and continue to pack away my own makeup I brought in my backpack.

"Hey, what's that?" Miyeon asked, referring to the envelope on the dresser next to where I was cleaning up.

"Oh, I found it outside my door. I think it's a fan letter or something," I reply, not really paying attention.

She grabs it from next to me to get a closer look at it.

"Doesn't look like something too friendly," she said referring to the choice of color. I have to agree. Black doesn't exactly symbolize joy. 

Miyeon cautiously opened the letter to see what's inside. Her eyebrows knit together as she reads the content. Her eyes shoot up to mine and her face goes a little pale. 

I take the paper from her hands to see what all the fuss is about. 

A chill runs through my body as I read what's written in bold red letters on the paper. 

Meet me at entrance C at exactly 23:00. 

Come alone. 

Do as I say, and no one get hurt. 

~M.