fly

Amber Run – I Found

"I found love where it wasn't supposed to be

Right in front of me."

"Today we will be working on conjuring a full Patronus," announced Dumbledore.

Draco heard Harry sigh next to him, and asked quietly, "What?"

"I learned how to do this in third year," he whispered back.

"Third year?" Draco gaped at him. "Harry, that's –"

"I know, I know, advanced magic." Harry rolled his eyes but gave Draco a side smile.

Draco shook his head. "Unbelievable, you are."

Defence classes had been a lot less intense in the couple of weeks since Draco had had his panic attack, and he had a feeling that Harry might've had a word with Dumbledore. He didn't mind. While he half-heartedly listened to Dumbledore, he kept sneaking glances at Harry, and he knew that Harry was doing the same to him.

"I've never managed a full Patronus, you know," he whispered.

"Haven't you?"

Draco shook his head as Dumbledore asked for a volunteer to demonstrate. "Ah, Mr Potter, would you care to perform a Patronus for us?"

"Ah... I suppose." Harry walked up to the front, somewhat reluctantly Draco thought.

"In fact," Dumbledore went on, "I rather think that my Patronus is a bit weak, and perhaps you would do better at teaching the students how to conjure one, Mr Potter."

"I don't know about that sir, Ron and Hermione have strong Patronuses too, and so do Ginny and Luna," Harry said, indicating his other friends in the class.

"Yes, but you're the one who taught us, Harry," Hermione said – Draco had finally taken to calling them by their first names.

"She's got a point," said Ron.

Harry looked a bit peeved at the idea of taking over the class, but Draco caught his eye and gave him an encouraging nod. Harry gave him a grateful smile and instructed them on how to conjure the best Patronus, and then made his way around the room to help out people individually, enlisting Hermione and Ron to do the same. Draco stayed standing to the side until Harry noticed him and came over.

"Would you like some expert instruction, Draco?" he asked with a grin.

"Teach me after class," Draco said. "I'll just watch for now."

Harry gave him a knowing smile and went back to the rest of the class. Under Harry's instruction, the room was soon filled with various glowing animals darting about, lighting up the space. When the class finally came to an end, Harry came straight back over to Draco.

"I think this classroom is needed for the next period," he said. "Room of Requirement?"

"Sounds perfect."

The two left the classroom and headed straight for the hallway where the door was concealed. This time, it opened for them immediately, and Draco was once again struck with awe at the magnificent space. There was definitely a part of him that wished he could have been here in fifth year, a part of Dumbledore's Army preparing to fight against Voldemort. If only he had known back then how much everything would change.

Harry led him to a space where the walls were covered in mirrors, reaching all the way up to the arched ceiling.

"Earth to Draco," Harry said, pulling his attention back down from the intricate latticework above them. Harry had a determined glint in his eye, prompting Draco to take his wand out. "Okay, I want you to think really hard about what memory you choose. It can't just be any happy memory, it needs to be the happiest you've ever felt, the epitome of joy. So think hard."