Seven

Water off a duck's back. Just keep calm. His words can't hurt you anymore. It'll all be like water off a duck's back.

Yeah, right.

Back when you were in second grade, there was this girl who lived right across the street. She went to a different school and, truth be told, you didn't exactly have all that much in common, but during the summer break, while all of your friends were on vacation, she would sometimes come over and the two of you would spend days playing badminton right outside your doorstep.

She wasn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed, but she was kind and sweet, and over the years, you came to like her more than you had ever expected to. She had this.. calm, soothing aura around her, one you were severely lacking. No matter how many doubts plagued your mind, each time you confided in her she always managed to make you feel better.

Once the two of you had entered your teenage years, something changed. Both of you had entered high school, gotten to know new people, prepared yourselves for college and university. While the years had seemed to pass much quicker than they had before, for both of you, time seemed to have stopped. You couldn't remember which summer had been the first you'd spent without her, but soon, the two of you had simply lost track of each other, as you do when you're too young and stupid to appreciate an honest friendship.

You hadn't thought about her in many years, but she'd come to your mind quite often over the last few days.

You wondered where she was, and whether she was happy.

You wondered whether she'd gotten her heart broken, and how she'd dealt with it. She had always handled problems and stress so much better than you.

You wondered what she would tell you if you told her about yourself, and how you'd managed to almost let someone ruin you. She would probably laugh at you, and rightfully so.

But that's how things had always gone: You had been the one to overcomplicate matters, to wreck your head trying to find a solution which to her seemed so obvious. Each time you'd told her what had been plaguing your mind for days on end, she'd always laughed at you, but not in a mean way.

Then, once your tears had dried, she'd taken your hand, smiled, and said: "Trust me (Y/N), it'll all be water off a duck's back."

Somehow, all you felt you needed was just someone to take your hand and say those words. But you weren't in second grade anymore, and your former neighbor was living her own life, with nobody to hold her hand.

So you would manage. You'd sworn to yourself that you wouldn't ever let your happiness depend on another person, let alone on a guy.

Yeah okay, you'd broken that promise quite a few times already, but that wasn't the point-

So you'd pick yourself up and you'd see this through.

Even if this meant spending an entire day with the infuriating asshole man who broke your heart.

At least you'd be able to ditch anatomy in favor of a different course next term, so you wouldn't ever have to see him again after this was over.

Clutching your shirt while taking a deep breath, you clung to your textbooks like a lifeline while you opened the door to the library.

At least the library was a public place. It's not like Law would ever attempt something there, right? Well, except that one time...

Oh well. Nevermind.

Water off a duck's back. Keep calm and it'll all be water off a duck's back.

"You're late, (Y/N)-ya."