Regal

The sun was setting, casting a warm glow over the outdoor patio. The ambiance was romantic, with strings of twinkling lights hung above and a soft breeze carrying the fragrant scent of blooming flowers. But for Nadia, it was all just a blur.

The table was set for four, but it seemed like a crowd. Her heart sank as she watched Kyle, her long-time crush, laughing and flirting with another girl. She couldn't help but feel disheartened - she knew that girl didn't deserve him, she did. It should have been her sitting across from Kyle, making him smile, making him look at her with those beautiful eyes. It should have been her holding his hand, sharing a peckish kiss.

That girl didn't deserve him.

That should be her.

That should be her making him smile.

That should be her making him look at her that way.

That should be her touching his hand.

That should be their peckish kiss.

That should be hers.

Nadia's eyes welled up with tears as she continued to watch them. Usually, she would have looked away, but tonight, the pain was too much to bear. She felt an arm wrap around her waist, pulling her into a warm embrace.

"You're staring at them, love," he whispered in her ear.

It was Gareth, her "boyfriend" , who had been trying to distract her from her hopeless infatuation with Kyle all night. Nadia rolled her eyes, but she was grateful for his comfort. She took a deep breath and leaned into him, trying to let go of her envy and focus on the present moment.

-----

He still thinks we're in high school, even though he's turning twenty today. It's been two years since we got married, but sometimes it feels like nothing has changed. We still act like immature teenagers, fighting and arguing over the smallest things. But deep down, he knows that things are different now.

We need to start thinking about our future. I was supposed to go to college after high school, but it never happened. Gareth always changes the subject whenever I bring it up, and instead offers to buy me something. Kyle is still around, and Gareth is now attending school in the valley from our humble but comfortable home in an affluent neighborhood.

I enjoy our quiet life, doing groceries, cooking, and keeping up with my favorite shows. But I worry about my future, and when Gareth will decide to let me go, if he ever will.

"Nadia, are you listening?" Gareth's voice brings me back to reality.

"I'll be out of town for a few days, and I'll call you every day to check up on you. Don't do groceries this week, and I'm going to have someone come and check the cars," he says as he gathers his things.

"I need some things from the store," I say. "I'll just get them on my way back from the airport."

"Do you want to come with me to the airport?" he asks, studying my expression.

I laugh. "What else do I have to do?"

He gives me a curious look. "Why do you want to come with me?"

"I just want to spend some time with you," I reply.

He narrows his eyes. "You've never wanted to do that before. Is there something you want? I'll buy it for you."

"I don't want anything," I assure him. "I just want to see you off. Is that so bad?"

_______

Nalia awkwardly sat in the plush chair, squirming around as she looked around the elegant dining room. The walls were painted a soft cream color, complementing the mahogany dining table and matching chairs. The crystal chandelier hanging from the ceiling cast a warm glow over the room, illuminating the intricate details of the room's decorations.